Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Got a pic?

Some Lavenders out there do indeed have a little leakage, but some also just plain get a bleached effect pretty early, the same as blues do.

I'll try and get some tonight...

My Lav cock's hackles turned quite yellow here in the high altitude sun, but he is molting now and they are coming in a normal lav color. I suspect that diluted colors may be more suseptible to sun damage. This seems to be the case in horses and dogs.

2. Midwest Lizabeth

Midwest Lizabeth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Questions about rooster selection--what patterns--coloring of juveniles to keep.

I’ve got a mix of youngsters with too many roosters—large fowl. The silvers are smaller than the wheatens. These are Belm lines and I want to save the best roos. They were hatched June 14. I can’t yet post photos here.

What are the best color qualities to look for when picking out my silver roo or roos while still young? All seem to have proper beards, muffs & dark legs and all are starting to show patches of shiny green/black on the wings. One of the silver roos has quite a bit more white on his feathers that the others. . .do I want to keep the roos that have more white on them as youngsters or less white? I have six and only want to keep two.

Then there's the blue wheatens. . .more red/rust or more of the blue in the feathering?

Are there colors on either one of them that I really want to avoid? (learned from another post that I need to avoid brown on the silver roos)

Any advise from experienced breeders would be much appreciated. (If I raise them all to adults, then I do plan on joining the Ameraucana Club. We are fairly new to chickens.)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I hatched about 20 lav roos this summer- only one is actually showing some very pale gold, but I wasn't sure who's eggs he was from- mine or another breeder's. My adult roos, however, are extremely yellow and ready for a good molt. I don't know why it doesn't happen to the girls.

Steve- if you still have the 2 roos, I would keep the one that doesn't show any gold, and sell the other as an easter egger- just in case it isn't the sun.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Ok my Wheatons from cpartist have started their 1st molt. So not looking the best right now. But with that in mind, what do you think of my cockeral?
    [​IMG]

Edited to add a second pic... The white tips on the tail feathers must have been from the sun...
    [​IMG]
    These guys are hard to get pictures of! They never hold still or are right up in the camera! lol

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Aww- nice chunky little guy! I love his posture. I don't recall seeing the tips of the tail feathers like that before. (sneaks out to check)

6. cheryl98117

cheryl98117 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Indianola Washington
    Quote:Aww- nice chunky little guy! I love his posture. I don't recall seeing the tips of the tail feathers like that before. (sneaks out to check)

Are you talking about the tips of his tail feathers? If so... I didnt notice that until today, but then again. I havnt spent much time with them the past month or so... [​IMG]

7. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Just a quick update on my lavender wheaten project. Some eye candy [​IMG] no eggs or chicks available until next spring [​IMG]
    Almost 14 wks old hackles and saddle feathers are starting to come in. I can't wait to see how he turns out. I also now have a second little LW roo. He's about 4 weeks old. These two boys are going to be used over wheaten hens to create splits to improve coloration. For more information on my lavender wheaten project .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I always love Wheatens from cpartist. . . . He's a nice guy but that beard could be much, much darker [​IMG]

Chicken Stalker, thank you! For the update [​IMG] I wish the photos were a little darker though

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:[​IMG] Eye Candy!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen

10. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I know how long you've been working on this! So glad you are having the success in coloration that you envisioned! Can't wait for spring! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by