Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:One pretty egg does not mean they are all that color. [​IMG] I have Shaffer and had a Lav from Jean and a couple of splits from Jean. I have gotten blue to blue-green to blue-gray from these Lavs. This year I bred my Shaffer Lav cock to my three best Smith Black hens. The splits will be bred back together next year. I anticipate I will use only these Lavs to move forward. That's the plan for now anyway.

Thanks for answering my question [​IMG] I have 2 lavender and 2 split pullets (Shaffer x Paul) to work with, and I have a similar plan [​IMG]

2. chickee

I have a question about the body type on my Lavender roosters. They have great big muffs and beards (like the one in my Avatar) but it seems like their bodies look too thick like an Orpington. Is type more important or feather color, beards and muffs? [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    "Build the barn before you paint it".

Muffs and beards would be considered type.

4. chickee

pips&peeps :

"Build the barn before you paint it".

Muffs and beards would be considered type.

Thanks Jean [​IMG]

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    pips&peeps :

Still working on feather quality and he has some of that weird "steel" colored shading. If he looks any good when mature, I may cross back to black again.

I've noticed some yellowish feather shading on the back of my almost 18 week old Roo (Lav Am). Is this normal? Will it go away?
    Steve​

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:I've noticed some yellowish feather shading on the back of my almost 18 week old Roo (Lav Am). Is this normal? Will it go away?
    Steve

Got a pic?

Some Lavenders out there do indeed have a little leakage, but some also just plain get a bleached effect pretty early, the same as blues do.

7. Ivywoods

Ivywoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Hiawatha, KS
    There are people wanting to buy some of my ameraucanas, and I am wanting to thin down to just what I want to keep for breeders. I'm still having trouble picturing the exact body type I should be looking for. I can weed out combs and tail angles easily, but this body type has me still rather blank. I always tend toward picking the larger bird, so I'm afraid what "might" appeal to me would be what others call the "orpington" type.

I haven't posted pictures yet because they are free ranging and it is difficult to get pictures of them. They tend to hid in the weeds, especially with some of these hot days we have had.

I would say "overall" mine have good beards and muffs, a couple have too high of tail angle and a couple have goofy combs.

I think what I need are some sillouette pictures, front, top and side to look at to get the picture in my head of just what I should be looking for.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:I've noticed some yellowish feather shading on the back of my almost 18 week old Roo (Lav Am). Is this normal? Will it go away?
    Steve

Got a pic?

Some Lavenders out there do indeed have a little leakage, but some also just plain get a bleached effect pretty early, the same as blues do.

I'll try and get some tonight...

9. earth_ma

earth_ma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2007
    North East Georgia
    A quick question here: Do ameraucana chicks keep the beard and muff fuzz until the true feathers come in?

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:In my experience some do and some don't. I've had a few chicks that look almost clean faced but when their real feathers start growing in they have full beards/muffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by