Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had pretty good luck with Shipped eggs. My last shipment was from alicefelldown here on BYC she shipped 12 eggs, hen broke 1 and 8 hatched from the 11 set...needless to say I was thrilled considering she is in California and I am in NC

My PO must be pretty careful or I have been lucky. I have purchased maybe 10 batches of eggs from different places and I only had trouble out of maybe 2 dozen. Although, I never get my hopes up with shipped eggs because you never know what you will get.

2. earth_ma

earth_ma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2007
    North East Georgia
    Beautiful birds! Are all Ameraucana chicks bottom of their feet white? I have mostly chicks with yellow feet bottoms. I'm new to true Ameraucanas and have been buying eggs and hatching my own....hoping that sellers are truthful and are selling true breed.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:With day olds they appear yellow, then grow to a white color. If your chicks are dark brown or brown striped they're guaranteed Easter Eggers, but if they're solid gray, black or yellow or something, I'd say you're safe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:With day olds they appear yellow, then grow to a white color. If your chicks are dark brown or brown striped they're guaranteed Easter Eggers, but if they're solid gray, black or yellow or something, I'd say you're safe. [​IMG]

Silver Ameraucanas hatch looking like chipmunks...brown stripes. [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Silvers are pretty rare though, and are more of a light gray chick with blacked brown stripes. I'm mainly speaking in terms of likeliness.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    No the silvers are more of a black/grey stripey. Different from the wellie, EE, leghorn, etc brown chipmunk pattern. Silvers are pretty rare too- I think you'd actually have to look for them.

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ha Illia beat me to it.

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Sorry guys...every Silver Ameraucana I've ever hatched has brown "stripes" with a lighter color inbetween. Brown being the main arrow down the back with two flanking brown stripes. NOT black, not gray. The inbetween is a taupe-ish coloring.

The chipmunk ones are pure Silver Ameraucanas (2nd generation) I hatched last winter...they are under a red light...tried to find my best pic...I can keep digging. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes but have you compared them to the common normal black breasted red/gold duckwing of an Easter Egger? [​IMG] They're pretty gray in comparison.

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Right- if you put them next to a wellie or leghorn they are not the common reddish brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by