Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:Same here. I consider myself VERY lucky to get 3 chicks. But stoked with even one.

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:Same here. I consider myself VERY lucky to get 3 chicks. But stoked with even one.

Yep, they are so addictively cute.
    Shipped eggs are like lotto scratch offs; you never know how much the prize will be. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Do you have any pictures of what your girls lay Illia? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From top left to right - Buff Am egg, Wheaten Am egg, Cuckoo Ar egg, Duckwing Ar egg. White eggs on bottom.

Again, Wheaten egg on top right. Taken with flash both times.

[​IMG]

Not the bluest but surely the richest! [​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Oooo those are purty.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Or 1 & 2 depending on "the good side"

10 or 2 would be good. Steve is from Australia. [​IMG]

Well I ask because I'm having some issues with tail angles in my roosters. I don't know which one to choose. Like I have 3 black males to choose from but I don't know which to choose!

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    It seems like the tails (angle-wise) are more of an issue in the bantams. The ones that I have seen anyway. Do the banties have a different standard in that respect?

7. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I don't think so... its suppose to be a 45*. I just assumed that was the LF standard as well.

Here is what the ABC has on their site..... my standard is MIA at the moment. God only knows where I put it!

TAIL: Well spread, medium length, carried at 45ยบ above horizontal.
    http://ameraucana.org/standard.html the link

I have some with low tails and some with high tails and one that I think is really good. But I'm not sure

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:I would keep the one in the middle and the lower tail. That's one thing that drives me crazy in the LF so I would rather have a low tail for a breeder, if not showing.

9. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    In a couple of my more rare varieties I just have to work through it but my others that are hatching better ei. my Lavs and Blacks and Splits. I'm having a bit more luck.

I NEED TO POST PICS OF MY BROODY its too cute! I'll also try to get some of the boys in question.

10. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Or 1 & 2 depending on "the good side"

10 or 2 would be good. Steve is from Australia. [​IMG]

LOL Took me a while. I meant that at 7.5 minutes [or 52.5 minutes on the other side] the minute hand would standing at a 45 degree angle........................................ that is if my understanding of a 45* tail set is correct. [I've always assumed they mean a 45* angle up from horizontal to the ground.]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by