Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Right- if you put them next to a wellie or leghorn they are not the common reddish brown.

This needs to be clarified...when a blanket statement is made that all assumed EE chicks have brown stripes and can therefore NOT be a pure Ameraucana, that is not true. It wasn't referred to reddish brown, or blackish brown, or any other type of brown...just brown. People that care to learn more about the colors of the Ameraucana breed need to be informed accurately. Happymtn, I also raise Wellies... I LOVE THEM [​IMG] ...and you are very correct in saying they are reddish brown when hatched, that doesn't pertain to what was originally mentioned in offering breed advice.

Chipmunk chicks with brown stripes are common in EE's. True. Silver Ams chicks have brown stripes. Also true. We can't assume it is EE's. Silvers are not at all that rare...not where I'm sitting anyway. Most times I expect people have EE's before pure Ams...as that seems to be common place...but let's not count every newcomer out. [​IMG]

2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Right- if you put them next to a wellie or leghorn they are not the common reddish brown.

This needs to be clarified...when a blanket statement is made that all assumed EE chicks have brown stripes and can therefore NOT be a pure Ameraucana, that is not true. It wasn't referred to reddish brown, or blackish brown, or any other type of brown...just brown. People that care to learn more about the colors of the Ameraucana breed need to be informed accurately. Happymtn, I also raise Wellies... I LOVE THEM [​IMG] ...and you are very correct in saying they are reddish brown when hatched, that doesn't pertain to what was originally mentioned in offering breed advice.

Chipmunk chicks with brown stripes are common in EE's. True. Silver Ams chicks have brown stripes. Also true. We can't assume it is EE's. Silvers are not at all that rare...not where I'm sitting anyway. Most times I expect people have EE's before pure Ams...as that seems to be common place...but let's not count every newcomer out. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Look what I just put into the incubator. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also looking for show quality wheatens. Prefer chicks that will be shipped since I've had huge issues with shipped eggs. Anyone have some show winner line WA's for sale?

Thanks!

4. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Same here. I consider myself VERY lucky to get 3 chicks. But stoked with even one.

Yep, they are so addictively cute.
    Shipped eggs are like lotto scratch offs; you never know how much the prize will be. [​IMG]

No kidding. I'm done with shipped eggs. Out of about 24-28 Exchequer Leghorn eggs in three different boxes... I got a grand total of three, yes 3 chicks. And those were NOT cheap eggs. I'd have been better off having the breeder hatch the eggs, paying for the box and shipping.

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:The color is amazing on my computer! Congrats!

6. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    Thanks!

They're amazing in real life to. All from the same hen. The problem is she hates the rooster and hides from him. I may have to do AI if these eggs aren't fertile.

7. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    Quote:Gorgeous egg color!

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Nice!

I have chicks, but they are pick up/deliver regionally only at this time.

[​IMG]

9. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    HappyMtn: Do you have pictures of your parent birds? I don't think I'm 'that' far from you. I'm N of Atlanta.

10. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by