Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Man that was my dream last year, especially because of the rumors of the Wheaten Marans being assessed there, but, I've hardly the $$ to go. [​IMG] Such is what happens when your last job you lost because your boss couldn't have the guts to say they fired you. But instead somehow just simply took you off the schedule and considered it "on call." [​IMG]

2. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    You are not being "snobbish" or a trouble maker, you care about the birds and breed and you are being correct!

What if the 4Her decides to sell eggs from her EE as "champion stock"?
    That just spreads misinformation about the breed.

I would take LOTS of pictures, of the EE, your miscategorized bird and especially of the WIC and the "judge". (post them here [​IMG] ).

Oh, and you could casualy ask her where the "show SOP" is located [​IMG]

Don't let one silly WIC spoil your showing experience for good.
    The chances are that the Nationals will be much better organized with knowledgeable people.

3. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:I'm getting the exact opposite advice from my husband. He doesn't feel it something I should make a fuss over - thinks I'm being "snobbish". I don't want to be that. I just know that bird is not a breed and the owner is a kid and she got a blue on it and a Champion Rosette Ribbon on another of her birds in another catagory. Who am I anyway? Just some stupid woman with chickens, driving 33 miles 1 way, 2 times a day to care for some birds she has caged somewhere she can't get them out of who doesn't have a current SOP in her hands?

Yeah Jeremy - I WAS going to Nationals in Indianna but I'm really re-thinking that dream now.

Talk to the judge!!!! I have talked to several APA judges regarding the EE/Ameraucana thing. Unless they know someone is looking over their shoulder, they will continue to award EEs and ignore Ameraucanas. They have actually been easy to talk to, but make excuses for placing EEs.

I think it is time the ABC sends a form letter to all APA judges and possibly the APA to request that those disqualifications in the SOP actually happen. If a bird has willow/green legs then the feet will be yellow. None of these judges have a problem DQing a Cochin with vulture hocks or a Silkie with a missing toe. Enough with the excuses.

There is another forum (which shall remain nameless) that a number of judges frequent. Perhaps this topic should be addressed there.

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I was told this little guys mom and dad are Blue Wheaton Ameraucana. He has a lot of white in him though on his chest and all is this possible? Would he of had to been crossed with a different color to look this way? Thanks your help is appreciated.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten makes 25% chance of Splash Wheaten, which is what he is [​IMG]

6. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Yea, yea thank you so much. I am so excited. [​IMG] I knew they were saying he was pure but, I was thrown off by the coloring. I know I want him though. [​IMG]

Quote:Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten makes 25% chance of Splash Wheaten, which is what he is [​IMG]

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC

Agreed! I've been trying to hatch one of those, actually. Breed him to Wheaten hens and you'll get all Blue Wheaten offspring.

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL

Yep! and they are real lookers too! I had one with the biggest of puffyness under his chin and cheeks! Had to re-home him - too rough on my girls.

9. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:I'm getting the exact opposite advice from my husband. He doesn't feel it something I should make a fuss over - thinks I'm being "snobbish". I don't want to be that. I just know that bird is not a breed and the owner is a kid and she got a blue on it and a Champion Rosette Ribbon on another of her birds in another catagory. Who am I anyway? Just some stupid woman with chickens, driving 33 miles 1 way, 2 times a day to care for some birds she has caged somewhere she can't get them out of who doesn't have a current SOP in her hands?

Yeah Jeremy - I WAS going to Nationals in Indianna but I'm really re-thinking that dream now.

Aisde from all this miserable rubbish that you have to endure, your marriage is still more immportant than one show. If you feel your husband would be put off by your fight, leave it! Make sure next time you partner up with somebody from the chicken community. (Nevertheless I would get the woman's name, report her and hope that she gets banned for life from hosting another show with false advertising and GREAT potential for disease spreading until she educates herself apporpriately in a) organizing shows and b) polite communication with attendees.)

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    [​IMG]

I sure hope he isn't to rough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by