Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:There are an awful lot of EEs in that picture with him. I would check his feet to be certain.

2. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

pips&peeps :

Yes, you must stand up for yourself. There should be a copy of the SOP at every show in case there is a rare breed the judge is not familiar with. The SOP clearly states yellow feet is a DQ.

The bird is also lacking in breed characteristics with a single comb, so it should be DQ'd.

You can point this out to the person who is clerking for the judge during judging and they can rectify the situation before the end of judging. Have them look it up!!!!

When I spoke to the judge at a poultry show and inquired about the green legs I received a delightful smile and "It's a just a fair. We like to encourage the kids." (Wasn't a child's entry but whatever.) Another comment - "things are pretty relaxed here". Not a DQ on ANY of the tags - not just EEs. Issues with Silkies and Polish as well. Wrong combs on a lot of the birds, wrong colour skin, etc. What I am learning is the APA folks are not NEARLY as passionate about the distinction between EEs and Ameraucanas as the ABC folks and Ameraucana breeders. In fact all 3 of the working APA judges and even some competitors I have casually spoken to have been VERY relaxed about specific breed DQs. (I haven't been exhibiting any birds. Just checking things out and asking LOTS of questions.)​

3. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I have no experience with chicken judges (well, maybe judges of chickens would be better :[​IMG] ), but showed horses most of my life and other than a few small shows the judges knew what standards applied to whatever type of class they were judging. From what I'm reading about the so called APA judges I wouldn't subject myself to trying "to beat the judge". What are the requirements for APA judges and what do they have to do to show they are qualified to judge the breed(s) they judge. Are there no sanctions for this type behavior? There should be a committee (or something) to report a judge to. I am so sorry you had to experience this utter lack of professionalism. [​IMG]

4. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    I feel just defeated [​IMG]
    Got a lot to learn about showing I guess.
    the WIC has me pegged - I'm out of my league.
    I don't want to be mean to some kid, even indirectly and I don't have the 'kahhonees" to question a judge - especially if he is the vice president of a chicken organization. [​IMG]
    Didn't know you had to "grow a pair" to show chickens - thought it was a gentlepersons endeavour.

I will continue to raise and breed my birds with the advice and guidance of the ABC members and breed specifics, but I doubt, even if the most perfect bird landed in my lap, that I am cut out to show. This being my first experience with chickens. Dogs were easier. My late Dalmantion was a CH CD RDX! That only took a year and a half to accomplish. But that's just 1 animal that I spent lots of time with and the competition was more cut and dry. It either is or isn't that breed and you have papers to prove it.
    [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Don't get discouraged Denise. There are going to be idiots every now and then. The WIC threatening to have you banned for life was out of her league. It is supposed to be about the birds- not about how many people she knows from the local circuit. Go to Nationals and have fun with it.

6. Araylee

Araylee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    Denise-
    AAAAGH! I really hope that you take a boatload of pics (including the HATCHERY "Ameraucana" who that poor kid ended up with) and start talking. If you are afraid to bring it up at this show, and the judge incorrectly gives ribbons to a bird who SHOULD have been DQ'd, then take pictures of that and send to the people sanctioning the show.

I really hope you end up doing something, even if it's sending pics after the fact. I can get not wanting to ruffle feathers during the show and kind of get where your hubby is coming from, but it sounds like these people have BAD INFORMATION! If nobody says anything, ten years from now we could still be running into EE being shown as purebred and placing. That's scary!

Bianca

7. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:Thanks Amy
    but what CA and Barn Godess say are true. Not worth getting my hubby upset and and if they want to run a lax show, who am I to walk in and change the tempo?

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    but what CA and Barn Godess say are true. Not worth getting my hubby upset and and if they want to run a lax show, who am I to walk in and change the tempo?

No- I am saying she cannot ban you. Take your beautiful birds to the Nationals in Indy and start fresh. And Jean will be there to set eveybody straight- lol!

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL

No- I am saying she cannot ban you. Take your beautiful birds to the Nationals in Indy and start fresh. And Jean will be there to set eveybody straight- lol!

I got conflicting reponses but the most poiniant was from CA who reminded me it's not worth arguing with my husband/best friend over this since he belives I am out of line. He's most important in my life and if he can't join me in it then I will just go to raising EEs ( which are prettier because of their variations in my opnion) or just slaughter them all for food.
    It really did mean a lot to me but not worth the heartache or trouble at home. I can give it up - I have been given so many other gifts in my life - I don't need to have it all.
    I love my husband very much
    [​IMG] I'm a little gun shy right now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I wish I was there. Grrrrrr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by