Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Hi all, I wanted to show my 4 month old roo, Sam. I am new to wheatens, so I wondered if anyone has some input on this guy. He's a great size, bigger than my pullets of the same age. But he's so far been a super roo, and I'm hoping he's a good enough example of the variety that I could use him for breeding next year. His shanks are a tiny bit washed out in this pic.

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's pretty good!

He appears to have white earlobes (big no-no) but his beard is a rare color (black. [​IMG] ) and he doesn't appear to have excessive white fluff at the tail, that's always really good. Body looks good too.

His hackles have a lot of black in them though, but beyond that and the white comb, those are what I see. How's his eye color?

3. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Eyes are a red-orange color. Another member PM'd me about the ear lobes as well, and I took a look at another pic (that I didn't use my high powered flash!) and it's not bright white.. kind of a pink-fleshy-grey color. I just did some digging and it turns out ear lobe color should be red.. is that correct? I have 2 other roos at home, a blue wheaten and another wheaten, from a separate breeder. They both seem to be much smaller than this guy was at that stage, hopefully its just that they're taking their time to mature. Shame, I really liked this guy. I'll check the other ones too for lobe color.

How dominant is that lobe color in genetics? I've got 3 roos right now and have to get rid of 1, so if it's this guy that's fine, maybe I should get pics of my other 2 [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm not sure how dominant it is, really. I think it depends on egg color, too. For example a white lobed white layer x red lobed red layer may be different from a white lobed blue/brown layer x red lobed blue/brown layer.

Yes, earlobes should be red.

I'd look over your other guys for evaluation. They may be small, but part of it is likely a dominance thing. I've got a handful of EE boys I'm choosing right now for who to keep for a project, and my final choice is the second smallest, even though I want a bigger bird - But I know he'll grow bigger, he's just towards the bottom of the pecking order at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched 10 chicks..splash, black and blue
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Five week old blue wheaten, pullet or roo? thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:Not that I am any kind of expert but from what I have gleaned from BYC I am voting... roo. I have a 6 week old blue wheaten pullet. She is much much lighter than your chick.
    This is her in the front.
    [​IMG]

8. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Welcome to the Ameraucana thread! It has been very helpful to me. I have learned a lot on here about my Ameraucanas [​IMG]

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:There's a lot to like about him, but unless that beard and muffs have been plucked, I would question if he was heterozygous for it.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    red4x4 - Definite roo.

SteveH - Agreed. I just assumed it was plucked, as that seems common among Wheatens.

My Wheaten girls are homozygous, but they day I get to actually see their muffs. . . . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by