Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
I suspect the different down phenotypes indicate different genotypes for black. I'm sure Ameraucanas have many, and none yet seem correct for breeding great colored blues from. I've got a jet black EE resulting from a Dark Cornish over what was supposed to be a Black Ameraucana. He's yellow skinned so his mother was not purebred, but he's got better beetle sheen than same age Ameraucanas. The patterning gene carried by the DCs seems to express a better blue when crossed to blues that lack the defined laceing that the blues are supposed to have; I think Pips&Peeps may be trying to introduce a patterning gene though an English Orp cross?? [My EE is for crossbreeding into a blue egg laying, yellow skinned, meat bird project.]

Hi, I'm here to join the group!

I've recently purchased True Ameraucanas...a single unrelated pair, whom are very cute and almost friendly, both are about 9weeks old: (I did see the parents, not EEs)

IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG
IMG_1622.JPG

Very ADORABLE! These are my first, and I already love them.

Last edited:
If you're sure the parents weren't Easter Eggers then why does the first girl shown have green legs and a common, unrecognized EE color?
wink.png

To be honest none of those have recognized colors, but still, are very beautiful
smile.png

Quote:
Illia took the words right out of my mouth...

Were the parents two different colors?

I ask because those birds are not a recognized Ameraucana color, so technically they could be catagorized as Easter Eggers.

The recognized colors accepted by the APA are White, Black, Blue, Buff, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Silver and Brown Red. Breeders are also working on having Lavender accepted.

Don't know if this might be on another thread, but this seemed a good place to ask. I have EEs, and I discovered that I can hard boil the eggs immediately and have never had a problem peeling them. I never do anything special. I don't age the eggs before boiling; I don't add anything to the water; I don't ice the eggs. After discovering this, I have cooked fresh white, brown, and greenish/blue eggs to compare and only the EE eggs peel easily. I am wondering if this is unique to EEs or do Americaunas eggs also share this trait? If this was something unique to the way I am caring for my chickens, I would expect similar results between the different breeds I have, but only the EEs seem to peel so easily. Has anybody else noticed this with their eggs? Thanks!

Quote:
No, sorry. If any of my eggs peel the best, it's my Polish (white) eggs actually. I think it might just be something different with your girls' laying time or something?

I took some excess Ameraucanas to a swap Sunday. First guy to look at them was even older than I am, and asked me what they were. I told him they were Blue Ameraucanas, but split to White. He looked at me at puzzled and said "Never seen none that color, but I already got some Amerararacans and wouldn't take another for free, Araucanas is just too wild."

I asked "What color are they?"

He said "All colors, beautiful, but I hate them, wild and dieing like flies since I got them. I hate them."

I said "I think you have easter eggers, I have some too, but there is a difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and easter eggers. Where did you get them?"

He said kinda angrily "I know what I got, had chickens all my life, they're Ameraucanas. Got 'em from a good hatchery."

I asked "Which hatchery is that?"

He said 'You know the one............. what's the name of it?................. the one that always sells sick birds."
th.gif

[BTW, I've never experienced buying sick birds from a hatchery, and consider them a safe place to buy EEs.]

Last edited:
Quote:
How interesting that anyone else would notice this. I have tried every trick I can find for hard boiling fresh eggs. I think I have found one that works... for most of my eggs.
At this time I only have production reds, barred rocks and EE's that lay eggs. The EE eggs always peel the best. I don't even bother to boil the production reds... they are a pain.

OOps!! off topic! Dang I keep doing that....

Back
Top Bottom