Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have 12 in the 'bator right now, and 3 have hatched!

Here are pics of the first 2!

88563_dscf6727.jpg

88563_dscf6729.jpg

My first of this breed, the 12 eggs I bought on here are supposed to be blue/black/splash... so I am guessing the 1st is a splash and the 2nd a black?

I have a question.
I was browsing the W/BW Marans thread and they were talking about how the white tail fluff on their Marans and how they were culling out if the fluff was to much.
What's the consensus on this particular topic? I know that the father of my Blehm line cockerels has more fluff than I'd like to see and if my boys have it, I'm not sure if I should keep them or not.

Personally I agree with the discussion, Marans, Ameraucana, or other. Take for example the rooster of chickee's - There's white fluff but very little of it, in fact his white amount total, beard included, is exceptionally nice and minimal. It's one of the things that make him so incredibly attractive.

Personally I wouldn't keep stock from a rooster who had a lot of white in the tail.

Last edited:
Just a little update on my latest little Buffs. . . .

First, the issue I had a while ago is resolved. I don't know why I never noticed the leg color earlier, but, my feather-legged chicks I hatched out were in fact actually accident Marans crosses (olive eggers) I don't know why I never noticed their WHITE legs, but, they're definitely growing up to be Wheaten colored chicks now. And here's some proof - This one is a true Buff Am x Wheaten Am. Clean legged as I want. Notice the leg color.

6285106318_57bca57551_z.jpg

Beyond that, these are my three oldest from my Gary Ramey cock x Pips&peeps hen.

The biggest of them; terrible contrast of light vs dark, but has the healthiest growth going on, and has the biggest beard/muffs.

6284587611_a148fb891c_z.jpg

6284586857_412694ce7b_z.jpg

The middle-sized one, but with the best color.

6284587191_9d821c2a60_z.jpg

6285107886_4b24ddc639_z.jpg

The smallest and palest of them. Very likely homozygous for khaki/dun.

6284589959_6694e1866e_z.jpg

6284589581_f97d1dbb0e_z.jpg

I'm going to keep these and let them grow out until I have more hatch out and mature that surpass their quality. If I had to choose, these three or another pick of three, I'd go with the other pick. But it's best I keep these until then just in case something goes wrong.

I'd originally have a lot more if it weren't for my little "feather legged chick" issue.
hmm.png
Very well aware of the seriousness of that issue. (fence jumping)

Quote:
Thanks for the update on your wheaten x buff project!
big_smile.png
I love the mottled buff chick in the second & third picture as an EE!!!! What a neat color and pattern! I am anxious to breed my 2 buff Meredith girls to my wheaten rooster from Jean and see what I get. Something has to be done to improve the buffs egg color!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom