Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
All these Lavs are making me
droolin.gif
and I am having remorse for not getting these.... Maybe after the first of the year. Hubby said it would be ok for me to get more
ya.gif
gotta love him
love.gif
Are my babies from that same daddy?
droolin.gif

Same dad, a few different moms. This little guy is such a ham.
28521_oct25part2_049.jpg

Quote:
Same dad, a few different moms. This little guy is such a ham.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_oct25part2_049.jpg

When can I tell roos from pullets?

Sometimes you get really lucky- like I did with this guy. He got the comb early. But most of the time it's the slowest to feather in.
The one hen that laid the bigger and more green eggs has been throwing mostly girls though, so you may not have any boys.

Quote:
When can I tell roos from pullets?

Sometimes you get really lucky- like I did with this guy. He got the comb early. But most of the time it's the slowest to feather in.
The one hen that laid the bigger and more green eggs has been throwing mostly girls though, so you may not have any boys.

The two chicks are quite funny looking right now. One has a bare back with those great big feather shafts and only a few feathers. The other is not quite as bare but still funny looking. My others are pretty much feathered at that same age. Just a different breed... I am hoping for two roos and 3 pullets. I am now convinced I want more eggs the first of the year... Hubby said to get more
love.gif
Let me know if you sell the pair. If I get done with these pens and you still have them I MAY get them. Keep me in the loop.

Have a good day!!!!
frow.gif

Well my venture into Ameraucana's isn't so great. I orginally bought 2 trio's of Lavenders. Let them grow some and wound up with 3 pair instead of 2 trio's. A little time went by and one then another and then another died, ultimatley I wound up with 2 roosters and 1 hen. The hen turned out quite small, just a little bigger than a bantam.
So now they are turned in with my Easter Eggers to make more Easter Eggers.

Quote:
Ohhh. Same thing happened when I started with the wheatens. I got so many clean faced, so many boys, finally got some good ones and the coons were ripping them through the welded wire of the coops.
barnie.gif

I hope you don't give up. We need more people dedicated to improving them. If you can't get any grown ones ,maybe get a couple splits or nice blacks you would have a great flock with your 2 roos.

Quote:
Ohhh. Same thing happened when I started with the wheatens. I got so many clean faced, so many boys, finally got some good ones and the coons were ripping them through the welded wire of the coops.
barnie.gif

I hope you don't give up. We need more people dedicated to improving them. If you can't get any grown ones ,maybe get a couple splits or nice blacks you would have a great flock with your 2 roos.

I put all three of the Lavender Ameraucanas in with the EE's, hopefully I can tell the Ameraucna's egg from the others and I can hatch out some more. I am trying to locate some more lavenders or blacks to get them going without to much inbreeding. The problem is they usually don't come cheap and I'm not a person to spend too much on a chicken. I really am just doing this for a hobby,but on the other hand if I can sell a few here and there to help my hobby along.

Lav ams aren't too expensive anymore. I have a feeling this spring there are going to be almost too many of them, and the quality tends to suffer like it did with the lav orps. I can pretty much guarantee there will be auctions for eggs non-stop soon. If you do get them- get them from an ameraucana breeder.

Quote:
Yes I know all about the EE and Ameraucana thing.

No- I didn't mean that. I meant I accidentally put some eggs inthe bator from EEs that were in my wheaten coop, only to hatch some lovely striped chicks!
he.gif
The egg color was so nice though.

I mean if you are going to get more lavenders, get them from somebody that raises ameraucanas. Has experiance with the breed in general and works toward the standard. Not somebody that jumps on the bandwagon and only gets them so they can sell tons of eggs when they happen to be "flavor of the month".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom