Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Crystal Creek, your Lavs are very nice! I want to get a little Lav flock going next spring...

Any chance anyone would want to swap eggs with me in the spring? I have two BW/W flocks - 6 hens/pullets and 1 cockerel from Peachick's 2011 breeding pen and hatched from her eggs and 2 pullets and 3 cockerels (to young to cull out the one/s I don't want) from John Blehm's lines. My Blehm flock will be growing as a neighbor and I have an agreement to trade eggs/chicks so we both can expand out flocks and diversity. I'll be looking for more W/BW and Lavs next year.

I have 4 splash hens and one white hen but none of them seem to lay the color blue I would like. I guess what I'm asking do I need to cull them or grow some of the blues out to see if they lay "bluer" eggs and go from there.

Quote:
I've gathered that egg color is an issue for many birds, select breeding (years of it) should produce birds that lay a richer hued blue egg.

Do you have pictures of your eggs?

Quote:
Nice! Are they big eggs? The ones I got from CC and the ones that my CC/Smith lav pullet is laying are huge.

The BWs eggs are the smallest of the new layers and the buffs first eggs are a little larger than the BWs. The Shaffer lavenders hatched from medium sized eggs. Can't wait until my lavenders start laying so I can see what their eggs look like
ya.gif

Your BW boy is gorgeous! I sure wish one of mine had turned out nice enough to keep!
sad.png
It was very sad taking all three to the auction
hit.gif
I do have the beautiful wheaten boy from Jean, so I am hoping to get a nice BW rooster from him and my Smith girls
fl.gif

Picture of my BW (blues) and Buff's eggs (green) with a couple of my brown BLRW eggs for comparison. The BLRWs lay a medium sized egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1100916.jpg

Beautiful!

Those green eggs are really from Buff Ameraucanas? I didn't realize their egg color needed that much work...

Quote:
The BWs eggs are the smallest of the new layers and the buffs first eggs are a little larger than the BWs. The Shaffer lavenders hatched from medium sized eggs. Can't wait until my lavenders start laying so I can see what their eggs look like
ya.gif

Your BW boy is gorgeous! I sure wish one of mine had turned out nice enough to keep!
sad.png
It was very sad taking all three to the auction
hit.gif
I do have the beautiful wheaten boy from Jean, so I am hoping to get a nice BW rooster from him and my Smith girls
fl.gif

Picture of my BW (blues) and Buff's eggs (green) with a couple of my brown BLRW eggs for comparison. The BLRWs lay a medium sized egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/54909_p1100916.jpg

Beautiful!

Those green eggs are really from Buff Ameraucanas? I didn't realize their egg color needed that much work...

Yep, they sure do! The eggs I hatched from 2 different breeders looked very similar in color. Into the laying cycle they must lighten up because the eggs I hatched were all a light khaki green color.
hmm.png

Quote:
I've gathered that egg color is an issue for many birds, select breeding (years of it) should produce birds that lay a richer hued blue egg.

Do you have pictures of your eggs?

I don't have any good ones. But yes they are pure and they are blue just not the blue I want. The birds look great and has placed 2nd and 4th at two shows.(Not county fairs)lol. But I just want the bright blue eggs

98821_img954207.jpg

The Roo

98821_img956016.jpg

Hens

Quote:
That's one of the issues with a few of my hens, eggs lightening up a lot towards the end of their laying cycles.

They start off a lovely shade of blue but they get pale towards the end, it's something that I want to breed against, if it even can be.

Quote:
Beautiful!

Yep, they sure do! The eggs I hatched from 2 different breeders looked very similar in color. Into the laying cycle they must lighten up because the eggs I hatched were all a light khaki green color.
hmm.png

Here is a picture of the buff eggs my birds hatched from~
54909_p1050465.jpg

Quote:
That's one of the issues with a few of my hens, eggs lightening up a lot towards the end of their laying cycles.

They start off a lovely shade of blue but they get pale towards the end, it's something that I want to breed against, if it even can be.

It will be interesting to see if you can. You will have to report back with your findings
pop.gif

Quote:
All these Lavs are making me
droolin.gif
and I am having remorse for not getting these.... Maybe after the first of the year. Hubby said it would be ok for me to get more
ya.gif
gotta love him
love.gif
Are my babies from that same daddy?
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom