Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

It's an EE. Hatcheries tend to lie, same with feedstores, and even some "breeders" out there.

Real Ameraucanas don't come from hatcheries, nor feedstores, and don't have green legs or come in that color.

ep.gif
Really? He said the green legs were a trait of an ameraucana. I don't know a lot about chickens as this is my second time owning them so I couldnt tell it was an EE's not an ameraucana.​

Last edited:
Quote:
ep.gif
Really? He said the green legs were a trait of an ameraucana. I don't know a lot about chickens as this is my second time owning them so I couldnt tell it was an EE's not an ameraucana.

Ameraucanas have white skin. Green legs are an indicator of a cross with a yellow skinned bird. EEs don't have to have green legs either though- I have several with black and slate legs. All depends on what you make then with
wink.png

Ameraucanas have white skin. Green legs are an indicator of a cross with a yellow skinned bird. EEs don't have to have green legs either though- I have several with black and slate legs. All depends on what you make then with

So I have a mutt? It doesn't matter that much as long as I get lots of eggs. That's half of what I bought my chickens for
tongue.png
I'm just curious as to what I have if it's not what I bought is as. His hens looked like ameraucanas but some of the patterns were like EE's and if they aren't EE's what are they???​

All EEs are combinations of a variety of breeds. Frequently they have pea combs with a blue egg gene. The blue eggs gene and the pea comb gene are in close proximity so birds that have one usually have both genes. That said there are only blue egg genes or white eggs genes. Any other color is a combination. Brown eggs are actually white with a coating of brown on the top. When you open one up look that the inside of the shell. Green and Olive eggs are blue eggs with a coating on the top. Look at the inside of that egg and of a blue egg and you will see blue. As far as the feather pattern the feather genes combination are responsible for that. The reason that there are so many different looking EEs is due to the large amounts of different combinations but if the bird does not have a pea comb or a type of pea comb most likely it does not carry the blue egg gene. When some one sells an EE and calls it an Ameraucana they are uninformed or just not honest.

Quote:
So I have a mutt? It doesn't matter that much as long as I get lots of eggs. That's half of what I bought my chickens for
tongue.png
I'm just curious as to what I have if it's not what I bought is as. His hens looked like ameraucanas but some of the patterns were like EE's and if they aren't EE's what are they???

Quote:
If they were a June hatch you should be able to tell gender by now. As someone said, the saddle and hackle feathers are going to be your best clue. The cockerells will have long, slender, more shiny and pointed saddle feathers (on their back in front of their tail) and the same for the hackle feathers (on their neck.)

Also, I'll bet your roosters are going to be crowing soon!

Quote:
tongue.png
I'm just curious as to what I have if it's not what I bought is as. His hens looked like ameraucanas but some of the patterns were like EE's and if they aren't EE's what are they???

You are right. It doesn't matter if you have an EE or an ameraucana, unless you are planning to breed and sell ameraucanas or to show them. I plan to make my own EE'ers. (black copper marans x ameraucana=EE or specifically an "olive egger.") Some of the EE's are very pretty, and if all you are after is colored eggs, then it shouldn't matter.

It's a shame people call all EE's or blue or green egg layers ameraucana. They are misinformed or just really don't care. Maybe it's "a chicken is a chicken" attitude."

Quote:
I'm back from Crossroads but my camera battery is dead and won't upload.
tongue.gif

The Ameraucana Breeders Club principals were all there and they were so great! Every one was so giving with their knowledge garnered over many years of working with our breed. It proved, without exception, how devoted the Ameraucana Breeders Club members are to improving the lines. The birds were spectacular and the facility was clean and comfortable (except for the bathrooms in the camping area). Security was everywhere and made for a safe feeling for a single woman like me. There was a cat and a rabbit show going on at the same time along with coats for kids, all in separate and roomy buildings. No matter where you were, people were nice.
Our breed was represented very well with prime birds anyone would be proud to have in their flocks. All colors/varieties were represented including the lavenders and splashes in both bantam and large fowl. There was representation from Purina and other companies selling to us chicken people.
To those of you who missed it -----SORRY
hugs.gif

Come next year!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom