Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Thank you..
hmm.png

i don't mean to be rude, but why do you guys not like crossbreeds? i'm very impressed that you guys know so much about genetics and stuff... but haven't you ever just had two kinds of chicken, and say "I'm going to cross these!" i am getting fertile eggs with my serama and a Bantam lavender Ameraucana Roo. and he just turned two months old????? i put my serama eggs in the bater, 90% fertile... the 2 month old BLA is the only roo i have??????? and my serama started laying at 4 months when she should have laid at 6? My BLA is John Bleim, and My serama is SQ pure? what do you guys think?

i don't mean to be rude, but why do you guys not like crossbreeds? i'm very impressed that you guys know so much about genetics and stuff... but haven't you ever just had two kinds of chicken, and say "I'm going to cross these!" i am getting fertile eggs with my serama and a Bantam lavender Ameraucana Roo. and he just turned two months old????? i put my serama eggs in the bater, 90% fertile... the 2 month old BLA is the only roo i have??????? and my serama started laying at 4 months when she should have laid at 6? My BLA is John Bleim, and My serama is SQ pure? what do you guys think?
Short answer you will get bantam chickens.Done a lot of crossing over the years.Lav is a black first.So the chicks will be mostly black depending on the hens color.Pea/single comb and 1 copy of bearded gene.So a mostly black with a poor pea comb and beard.Hope this helps.

what is the down side of crossing lavs to blue instead of black?
You will get blues carrying lav.In later generations you can get a blue with 2 copies of lav.Something else to cull.I produced some just to see.I test mated to be sure of their genetics.They passed as lav as chicks then got darker and got ink spots. Too dark for lav and too light for blue.If you must do this as in that is all you have to carry on the lav line.Then only keep the black splits.Cull the blues splits.

Short answer you will get bantam chickens.Done a lot of crossing over the years.Lav is a black first.So the chicks will be mostly black depending on the hens color.Pea/single comb and 1 copy of bearded gene.So a mostly black with a poor pea comb and beard.Hope this helps.
im not great with genetics... serama is the black one, amera is the lav

first serama egg!

Back
Top Bottom