Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I have 4 black ameraucana chicks that are 4.5 weeks old. Any thoughts on determining the gender on these babes? One does seem to have slightly thicker legs and there seems a little more comb development but no distinct pinking or growth in the comb yet. I also note that there seems to be some difference in the shaping of the tail feathers. I am not familiar enough with this breed to tell. I do have a 6.5 week old blue wheaten that looks like it may be a pullet. No comb development and thin legs on it so far. Thanks for the insights!

I have 4 black ameraucana chicks that are 4.5 weeks old. Any thoughts on determining the gender on these babes? One does seem to have slightly thicker legs and there seems a little more comb development but no distinct pinking or growth in the comb yet. I also note that there seems to be some difference in the shaping of the tail feathers. I am not familiar enough with this breed to tell. I do have a 6.5 week old blue wheaten that looks like it may be a pullet. No comb development and thin legs on it so far. Thanks for the insights!
Pictures would help..

Has anyone crossed a Wheaten Ameraucana with a White? I have a very nice batch of white ameraucanas I hatched this season and I have a very nice Wheaten rooster I have had for 2 or 3 years waiting for a flock of his own. What would I get if I put a few white hens in with him? Would they throw light wheaten once the wheaten gene is introduced? Has anyone done this?

Has anyone crossed a Wheaten Ameraucana with a White? I have a very nice batch of white ameraucanas I hatched this season and I have a very nice Wheaten rooster I have had for 2 or 3 years waiting for a flock of his own. What would I get if I put a few white hens in with him? Would they throw light wheaten once the wheaten gene is introduced? Has anyone done this?

No, they will not throw light Wheaten. Genes and genetics do not mix like paint. Recessive white hides lots of things. Recessive white is like a coat of paint with two copies.. If you take away one c (recessive white) gene you will strip off the paint and see what is underneath. The chick will still carry white - and mixed with another bird with recessive white you will get all white again.

If the Wheaten has better form you could do it to bring the form into your whites. If the whites do - you are only messing with the form, skin color, leg color (the wheaten gene lightens the gene that makes the legs dark) etc. etc.. Probably not a good idea.

Jerry has used whites in his breeding program for Lavenders, but he knows exactly what is under that white. His carry black, which is perfect for the Lavenders. Black is not good for Wheaten...

No, they will not throw light Wheaten. Genes and genetics do not mix like paint. Recessive white hides lots of things. Recessive white is like a coat of paint with two copies.. If you take away one c (recessive white) gene you will strip off the paint and see what is underneath. The chick will still carry white - and mixed with another bird with recessive white you will get all white again.

If the Wheaten has better form you could do it to bring the form into your whites. If the whites do - you are only messing with the form, skin color, leg color (the wheaten gene lightens the gene that makes the legs dark) etc. etc.. Probably not a good idea.

Jerry has used whites in his breeding program for Lavenders, but he knows exactly what is under that white. His carry black, which is perfect for the Lavenders. Black is not good for Wheaten...
Humm, I got the white eggs in a trade and had a very good hatch but what I really do want are Wheatens and was hoping I could use them but I really do not want to mess with a project when there are some really good Wheatens already out there. My Wheaten roo is a Ramey bird and I think he is very nice. One of my white cockerels has a blue face so my guess is they carry the black gene.

Thank you for your time on this!

Last edited:
I already asked this on 2 different threads, but no one came forward, so I'm trying again....

I hatched some eggs from TRUE Ameraucanas, not Easter Eggs, born on March 16 & 17. Parents were wheaten and blue wheaten.

Can anyone help me to identify some colors / genders? I have everything under the sun: very light all the way around - someone told me they are splash??; light brown; dark brown; lots of blue everywhere; and some brown/black/blue.

Hoping to hear back from someone!
Thanks!!! :)

PS: Please ignore the blue copper maran roo in the background... ;)

I already asked this on 2 different threads, but no one came forward, so I'm trying again....

I hatched some eggs from TRUE Ameraucanas, not Easter Eggs, born on March 16 & 17. Parents were wheaten and blue wheaten.

Can anyone help me to identify some colors / genders? I have everything under the sun: very light all the way around - someone told me they are splash??; light brown; dark brown; lots of blue everywhere; and some brown/black/blue.

They seem to be Ameraucanas. Which is good! I am not a Wheaten professional by any means. The darkest ones are usually the roosters, like the bottom pick. That is a Wheaten cockerel. Top pick on the right looks like a Blue Wheaten cockerel. IDK if there are any Splash Wheaten cockerels or not, I cannot 100% identify those. The lightest creamy ones are more likely the pullets. Like I said though, you can mistake a SW cockerel for a pullet, until the feathers grow out. The pullets will have color on the tail feathers, and primaries for sure. For anymore info, I would have to read my SOP. Hope this helps, I am sure that other more veteran folks will speak up!

They're beautiful, Henry! You've seen mine lots of times, but here they are (I no longer own Scout, the rooster, though).
Gypsy, daughter of Scout and Charlotte:
DCP_0336.jpg

Charlotte:
DCP_8203Charlotte.jpg

Scout:
DCP_8799.jpg

Snow:
DCP_1699.jpg

Nora:
DCP_1555.jpg
These are beautiful birds! Wow how I wish I had known about purebreds.

Black colored bird at 2300 is a Wheaten cockerel. Lighter bird at 2000 is pullet and looks to be Blue Wheaten. Chick at 1800 is cockerel but can't tell for sure if W or BW. My guess is BW.

Wheaten cockerel in middle. Looks like BW cockerel at 2300 and I believe that's a Splash Wheaten pullet at 2400.

Blue Wheaten cockerel

Wheaten pullet in front. Either BW or SW pullets to her left.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

Royce

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom