Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I'm thinking about starting a breeding flock of Ameraucana's my self! But first ill have to build a breeding pen for them and then find some nice ones! So I'm on the look for some! Don't know what color though! Any ideas on which color to breed??

Why are you looking to start a breeding pen? Do you want to show them?

Why you want the pen will probably determine what color would be best, if you don't already have a favorite.

Well
Why are you looking to start a breeding pen?  Do you want to show them?

Why you want the pen will probably determine what color would be best, if you don't already have a favorite.
Well I would like to show my birds in the near future but for now I wanna breed nice big show quality birds that I can sell! And I don't have a fav right now because I like all the colors! But I wanna raise nice show quality Ameraucana's! So any suggestions?

Well
Quote:
Black. If you want big, and you want finished (not project birds) you will need to go with black. White is another possibility, there are some good ones out there. Smith lines I have heard for the black are really good.

You do realize as young a breed as this is you can buy the best birds you can find, hatch their chick and raise them to determine who is show quality and you will still have to show them to prove they are actually show quality? You can not sell "Show Quality" unless you have actually shown the birds. The children of proven show winning birds can not be labeled as "Show Quality".

Good luck with your choices.

f
Black.  If you want big, and you want finished (not project birds) you will need to go with black.  White is another possibility, there are some good ones out there.  Smith lines I have heard for the black are really good.

You do realize as young a breed as this is you can buy the best birds you can find, hatch their chick and raise them to determine who is show quality and you will still have to show them to prove they are actually show quality?  You can not sell "Show Quality" unless you have actually shown the birds.  The children of proven show winning birds can not be labeled as "Show Quality".

Good luck with your choices.

Thanks for the help! I was thinking either Black, Blue, Blue Wheaton, Or Splash.

So i seen someone else ask about leg color and the chicks having white toes and what not. I know from other birds that the color will come in and the toes will color out same as the shanks. But do the Wheaten and blue Wheaten have lighter color shanks and toes as chicks. will these turn the correct darker shade as adults. I have Smith lines. I never noticed until now but the wheaten and blue wheaten are starting out with way lighter shanks and feet.

So i seen someone else ask about leg color and the chicks having white toes and what not. I know from other birds that the color will come in and the toes will color out same as the shanks. But do the Wheaten and blue Wheaten have lighter color shanks and toes as chicks. will these turn the correct darker shade as adults. I have Smith lines. I never noticed until now but the wheaten and blue wheaten are starting out with way lighter shanks and feet.

I do not have Wheaten/Blue Wheaten but I believe their legs will darken but they will always be lighter than the other colors's legs. That is considered the proper color for them though. It has to do with the base gene the Wheaten color is based on (E^Wh) - it changes the melanin in the skin pigment so it is lighter.

Last edited:
This is normal for the wheaten family.They will darken as they grow.

This is normal for the wheaten family.They will darken as they grow.

I do not have Wheaten/Blue Wheaten but I believe their legs will darken but they will always be lighter than the other colors's legs. That is considered the proper color for them though. It has to do with the base gene the Wheaten color is based on (E^Wh) - it changes the melanin in the skin pigment so it is lighter.

Thanks i figured as much seeing that they are smith lines i didnt think he would be off. but thought i would ask just to make sure. .

Is any one selling blue ameraucana hatching eggs? I have been looking on the buy/sell/trade fourm, but the only person that I saw have any I have already bought eggs from. But only one egg hatched (because of shipping), so i figured I would also buy some eggs from another person in hopes of a better hatch rate. I looked at the ameraucana breeders list on the ameraucana breeders club website. And I havent really looked into anything I found on there yet. If anyone does it would be great if you could pm me.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom