Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

At what age do you get an idea of the quality of the color and markings of blues, lavenders and blue splashes? Mine are just three months old. What should I be looking for? Should the edging on the blue be prominent by now? Here's a couple of pictures of my one blue cockerel. I'm not crazy about the brown tones but some of that--but not all--might be reflection from everything yellow around him or the lighting. I don't think he has much edging to his feathers, but maybe that is an age issue. I would appreciate comments. I intend to breed blues and splashes and if this boy isn't a very nice specimen, I won't keep him. I would rather wait to get a quality bird than breed a bird just because I have him. Thanks.

Her legs are white-ish. The color is a little weird because their is a red light over them. I got her from Garrs Feed in Mount Juliet

It has not got a recognized color/down pattern, and the legs look green on my screen.
Where did you get it from?
Her legs are white-ish. The color is a little weird because their is a red light over them. I got her from Garrs Feed in Mount Juliet

Her legs are white-ish. The color is a little weird because their is a red light over them.  I got her from Garrs Feed in Mount Juliet

She is typical coloring of hatchery EEs, (I have had plenty) they are great birds and are excellent layers of green, blue or pinkish eggs. Feed stores generally sell hatchery chicks. They will usually sell them as "Americanas" instead of "Ameraucanas". :)

Back
Top Bottom