Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I really like his beard and muffs at this time and should get fuller as he matures.. Beak should be dark horn color, usually at a young age it is started. Legs too light in color and they look closer to the color of a blue wheaten leg. He looks like he has good leg placement. Nice and wide and good shank angle. His saddle feathers and hack feathers look like a really nice color coming in. That being said..I do not like his tail placement at this time. It makes him look long backed and square. It should be 45 degrees and come up gracefully in a sweep and not harsh. He does have nice wide support hard feathering in his tail. His underfluff feathers are too light and too fluffy below his tail and might be adding to the too high tail carriage. He is too young..he will look totally different in 6-8 weeks.

Thank you! That was really helpful for a novice like me to get a feel for the breed.

Thank you! That was really helpful for a novice like me to get a feel for the breed.

Ok, this is going to make me sound really stupid, but I just had to share. I realize you post frequently and in many of your posts you mention being a novice. This whole time I thought it said novoice, which I didnt understand, because you talk quite a bit on the thread. So I go to google to find the defintion is, thinking maybe novoice meant something else. It brings up novice. I then got it. I realized there was never an o, i just didnt read slow enough to realize it. My blonde moment for the day lol.

How does this pullet look? I tried to get good pictures of her, but I didn't want to stay out in the misting rain with my camera so please forgive the slightly out of focus. She's 26 weeks old now. The top feathers on her tail aren't back in yet.

The proper name for the Parakeet that is small usually Green or blue Parrots. You could find them anywhere before PETA entered the sceen.
PeTA particularly haters Pure bred birds and their first Target were birds. Ingrid Newkirk in the 80s vowed to get rid of Pure bred dog and Cats along with all domesticated animals in a Harper's Bazzare Article in 1980s.

Hello Folks

I have an older hen two years plus . She has not laid this entire summer although she appears very healthy except for a molt. Is she getting too old to lay? or is it that she is in molt and has not come out of this yet? Is there any way to tell?
Dan,

All situations are different. It can be environmental or health related. If you purchased your bird from the hatchery it is quite normal for a bird to stop laying at two to three years of age. They are bred for high production and replacement every two years. If it is a heritage bird, she might be hiding her eggs too. Moult and loss of egg production does not usually go beyond 6 weeks. Most of my birds slow way down during moult and recover in four to six weeks. I worry more if they lay during moult. Doing both, strips so much reserves and can be harmful to mature birds, depleting nutrients from bones and tissue. Since you think your girl has not layed eggs all summer and she looks like she is in moult, she obviously needs more recovery time. I doubt she will lay like she used to when she starts back up again. If she is heritage and hiding her eggs..you should be able to tell by her egg laying noises. Chickens make special sounds when they lay eggs..some are quiet, some are very very loud.

I love that clacking noise and have used it to calm and comfort my hatchlings. She has not used it in a long while. I did purchase her as a mature bird at a year and a half from a breeder in the area. She is quite lovely ,wheaten and she produced about 6 young which carries her head but are very unique colors. One baby is wheaten with Black spots and a wheaten head. The sire is a blue wheaten. I would be interested to know what color it will be at maturity. She is only 6 months now.
g

How does this pullet look? I tried to get good pictures of her, but I didn't want to stay out in the misting rain with my camera so please forgive the slightly out of focus. She's 26 weeks old now. The top feathers on her tail aren't back in yet.

I like her, she is just missing some color in the tail, which is very common in this variety. She looks to have a nice full body on her. Is her tail always pinched up like that or is it from movement and the fact that the feathers are still coming in???

I know nothing about wheatons and the color. I can only comment on structure. This is just my opinion..and I share it to not only learn, but to teach and hope others also share opinions. I mean nothing negative to any one's birds. It is not criticisms. It is observations from photos only. Photo are harsh judgments and most birds look totally different in person and when you put your hands on them. I have to guess at bone structure on a two dimensional surface.

Her wing should tip down at a angle to the hock.It might be perfect and the photo angle is making it look straight and tucked up. Her tail is at the correct angle. Her neck is a bit short and it causes her back/topline to look a bit flat, it has a beautiful curve into the tail and that should be repeated down the head and neck into the top line. It looks like it stops short and sharp at the base of the neck. She needs soft feminine curves. I want to pull her head up longer and softly curve it. Her shoulders are perfect and angled down well into her topline. Her hard feathers in her tail(Dark ones) should be spread a bit more, but she has perfect curve at the top..soft and feminine..love it. I wonder how wide she is at the tail. She looks narrow in the photo and slightly tipped to the birds right side. A rear photo would help. Frontal pictures helps with chest and leg placement views. Over the top helps with width. I think if we pulled her neck up a bit her chest placement would be perfect.I see her breast bone and it should be softly covered in muscle and well- curved with out being over full. I think if she has a little longer neck she would be perfect. The rest of her would simply go into place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom