Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I think Splash are used in breeding but they are not an accepted color...
Here's our Splash Wheaten roo, I have been told he's not up to standard though. Any elaboration on this would be welcomed. I just lurk on here to learn really! Signature Feathers had some good info on their webpage when I was looking.

No. There is not a single Ameraucana pictured on that page (2166). None.

Also- it is very strange that a person from a hatchery would come to a residence with a backyard farm. They have very strict biosecurity, and are usually banned from returning to work for two weeks after such an incidence.
We have several friends that work for the big Hubbard plant/hatchery/poultry houses in our town. They are not allowed to come to our farm and we are not allowed to sell birds at the local feed stores because they are also customers there.

places like hatcheries and things are very strict on biosecurity. I almost got a job collecting eggs at a poultry barn, but they didnt hire me since I owned chickens. i completley understood why and figured they wouldnt. And I was also kind of worried about getting the job, because I did not want to give any thing to my chickens if theirs happened to be carrying something.

I think Splash are used in breeding but they are not an accepted color...

What would be the benefit of using them in breeding?

Breed to regular wheaten for 100 % blue wheaten chicks. It's the same genetics as blue, the splash just has two coppies of the blue gene.

I actually rather like splash wheaten.

Thank you! Very interesting! From what I understand, Splash Wheaten meet the requirements for accepting a color, though they're not one, what do we do to change this? I think they're beautiful! I have a couple splash pullets as well and was going to breed them basically for blue eggs, but down the road may get more involved in breeding. Just gaining as much knowledge as I can now! Thank you for all the help and knowledge you all are so kind to lend us novices!
Breed to regular wheaten for 100 % blue wheaten chicks. It's the same genetics as blue, the splash just has two coppies of the blue gene.

First off, I'm really happy you are trying to give your chickens a good life; however, if you asked a chicken if they like being hugged and kissed, I think you would find they do not and only allow it because they are forced to. If you truly wanted the best for your chickens, I think you would not maul them.

Here is a link to pictures of the acceptable colors of Ameraucanas from the Ameraucana Breeders Club website:

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Your birds are not wheaten colored.  Have a look at the pictures that show the color patterns for chicks, males and females.

Explore ABC's web site.  It will discuss the origin of the breed as well as a discussion on Easter Eggers under the FAQs section.

Being a pure bred is more than just looking like that breed.  The genetics must be there to breed true as well.  If you don't know they are pure breds, then they are likely not.  A breeder of pure breds knows what they have and you will be told what you bought.
LOL! I think that most chickens probably don't like hugs and kisses, but I do know some who love them. I have a Kraienkoppe named Ripley who runs to sit in my lap and be pet, sit on my shoulder and pretend to groom my hair, falls asleep in my arms if I give her kisses on the head etc. She was attacked by our dog and cat at a couple weeks old and spent lots of indoor time with me as her caretaker and grew very attached. I also have a male Black Australorp who runs up and begs to be picked up and pet when I come to the coop. I have a Golden Buff that does the same thing and will wait patiently by my feet till I put the roo down so she can get loved on. I am not feeding or giving treats when I handle them - they come just for the affection. But that is only 3 of about 130 I think. The rest could care less about me except to see what I bring them to eat, LOL!

I have a Splash pullet that I'm head over heels for, I thought she was a blue wheatan...both are pure it was explained to me even tho the color isn't recognized.

Lol 3 of my girls force love and petting from me.
Just going in to change water I get tackled for a snuggle and a scratch under the beards lol (i wish I was kidding)
But each cuddly one had an issue or is still a chick so I'm mama. I don't give it until ones in my lap or shoulder with a beak in my ear or armpit ha.
So while, no *most* chooks don't want to be chased down and snuggled...theres some that do! And you better! Or they all start growling
o.o
LOL! I think that most chickens probably don't like hugs and kisses, but I do know some who love them. I have a Kraienkoppe named Ripley who runs to sit in my lap and be pet, sit on my shoulder and pretend to groom my hair, falls asleep in my arms if I give her kisses on the head etc. She was attacked by our dog and cat at a couple weeks old and spent lots of indoor time with me as her caretaker and grew very attached. I also have a male Black Australorp who runs up and begs to be picked up and pet when I come to the coop. I have a Golden Buff that does the same thing and will wait patiently by my feet till I put the roo down so she can get loved on. I am not feeding or giving treats when I handle them - they come just for the affection. But that is only 3 of about 130 I think. The rest could care less about me except to see what I bring them to eat, LOL!

Hey has any of you seen pictures on Ebay of the Americana of a color that the breeder is calling Chestnuts on Ice? Tamarafarm of Texas has this color breeding true. The hens look like Wheatens but the roos are just red and white. More specifically they have dark maroon on the wings, rusty saddle, and golden red penciled (as best I can tell from her pics) hackles. They are amazing looking! I may find myself getting some of her eggs next spring.

Hey has any of you seen pictures on Ebay of the Americana of a color that the breeder is calling Chestnuts on Ice? Tamarafarm of Texas has this color breeding true. The hens look like Wheatens but the roos are just red and white. More specifically they have dark maroon on the wings, rusty saddle, and golden red penciled (as best I can tell from her pics) hackles. They are amazing looking! I may find myself getting some of her eggs next spring.

I have seen them on ebay before. It is not a color project that I am going to get into though.

Back
Top Bottom