Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Ok, here she is.
smile.png
pretty colors but not true ameraucanas

Finally, some pictures! Comments both positive and negative are greatly appreciated.

All birds were hatched April 1.

First up is a splash cockerel I want to keep simply because I like his color. (I used to show Collies and Shelties and he has a perfect blue merle coloring.) I am not intending to breed from him because he is on the small side and has had a crop issue starting September 9th. He's had three episodes of his crop not emptying, so he's had three days of fasting, 3 days of very little food and three days of limited food starting September 9. Needless to say, he has lost weight. I was going to cull him, but gave him one last chance and treated him with Nystatin prescribed by my vet. He seems to have recovered with his crop emptying every night. I started the anti-fungal meds a week ago. Up until recently, he was a beautiful clear blue color. I think any muddy color is because he free ranges and the feathers are old. I don't know if you can see it in the fourth picture, but he has a few dark colored scales on his shanks and feet. I don't know if that is an issue or is to be expected with the splash coloring.

beautiful bird

hey im new to Ameraucanas can you guys tell me info please
D.gif

The ameraucana breeders club has a website with a lot of info.If you have the time this thread has a lot of info.Generally if you get chicks from a farm store/feed store they are easter eggers no matter what they say.There may be a thread about easter egger vs ameraucana.

Decided to keep my best lav roo and two black roos from Paul and Angela Smith, The tail sets have reached an acceptable equilibrium, I think they just don't know what to do with all of that bling and all of those hormones when they first start looking like the manly men they will be. I have been looking for a home for a second, beautiful lav roo and i have been offering him with a marans/am hen, but I just can't find a home for them. Of course, as soon as i put my SLW bantams up on Craigslist, I get a hundred people trying to outbid each other for them. Go figure. At least all of the extra roos are getting along well. I think I'm going to cull my nasty, evil yet beautiful John Blehm roo (he's actually from a fancychick hen crossed with a John Blehm roo). I have a cockerel from him and the cockerel is showing the same nastiness as his father. Soup it is! and one less mouth to feed. Got some nice pullets from him though, hopefully, the Smith bloodlines will gentle any cockerels that come from them.

Then I had decided that my Smith lav hen was probably the most perfect am hen that I had ever owned and was so excited to show her off at the show in December. Stupid Turkeys overturned a feeder onto one of her toes and broke it so badly that the bone was nearly exposed. There goes her show career. I love my turkeys, I love my turkeys, I love my turkeys, I love my turkeys.................
he.gif

Decided to keep my best lav roo and two black roos from Paul and Angela Smith, The tail sets have reached an acceptable equilibrium, I think they just don't know what to do with all of that bling and all of those hormones when they first start looking like the manly men they will be. I have been looking for a home for a second, beautiful lav roo and i have been offering him with a marans/am hen, but I just can't find a home for them. Of course, as soon as i put my SLW bantams up on Craigslist, I get a hundred people trying to outbid each other for them. Go figure. At least all of the extra roos are getting along well. I think I'm going to cull my nasty, evil yet beautiful John Blehm roo (he's actually from a fancychick hen crossed with a John Blehm roo). I have a cockerel from him and the cockerel is showing the same nastiness as his father. Soup it is! and one less mouth to feed. Got some nice pullets from him though, hopefully, the Smith bloodlines will gentle any cockerels that come from them.

Then I had decided that my Smith lav hen was probably the most perfect am hen that I had ever owned and was so excited to show her off at the show in December. Stupid Turkeys overturned a feeder onto one of her toes and broke it so badly that the bone was nearly exposed. There goes her show career. I love my turkeys, I love my turkeys, I love my turkeys, I love my turkeys.................
he.gif

Thank you for sharing your information about your choices - I would not allow a nasty rooster either - no matter how pretty. My Lavs and Splits from John Blehm are very well behaved boys. I wonder if the mean came from the Fancychick hen side of the family? The one Split I did cull was not mean but he had curled toes so bad he couldn't roost - he also had extreme gold leakage AND was a little pig, as I found out after I processed him. I don't think I have ever seen so much yellow fat packed in there - ICK!

Um.. those turkeys are treading a very thin line.. its almost November.... Poor hen - ouch! At least she will make beautiful babies and you have another chance with some of her kids!

Back
Top Bottom