Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I just thought ubwould through this out their for anybody that is attending the poultry show in Lebanon, indiana on the 19th. I am looking to buy a good quality pair or trio while I am there so if you are taking any there maybe we could arrange to mert at the show.

Thank you for sharing your information about your choices - I would not allow a nasty rooster either - no matter how pretty. My Lavs and Splits from John Blehm are very well behaved boys. I wonder if the mean came from the Fancychick hen side of the family? The one Split I did cull was not mean but he had curled toes so bad he couldn't roost - he also had extreme gold leakage AND was a little pig, as I found out after I processed him. I don't think I have ever seen so much yellow fat packed in there - ICK!

Um.. those turkeys are treading a very thin line.. its almost November.... Poor hen - ouch! At least she will make beautiful babies and you have another chance with some of her kids!

Yes, my vet (I have a friend who is a poultry vet) says that its a bad idea to take my really good birds to shows anyway because (and this is coming from someone with a Ph.D. in infectious diseases, so she may be a bit sensitive to these things) it exposes them to all kinds of nasty diseases. She says that if she were breeding show birds, she wouldn't go anywhere near a show ever. I told her that she needs to take a little time off from infectious diseases. Step away from the microscope....

I love my turkeys and they're midgets, so they're on the critical list. I have decided not to sacrifice them to the alter of Thanksgiving (I have a muscovy that will be sharing that holiday with us). I have a hen and two toms and I am terrified that if I butcher one of the toms and something happens to the other tom before I get a clutch from the hen, I will have to go through heck and back in order to get some more midgets. Long story short: the turkeys have to stay, but they really P'd me off.

I don't want to say anything about thefancychick, she has good birds, but that guy is so nasty and I can't believe that either she or John Blehm would propagate a roo they knew was nasty. I have to believe that he's just an outlier and once I get rid of him, that will be the end of that gene. The trio I got from her won BB, RB and RV last year. The roo got the RV, so I don't feel as bad taking him out of the pic, especially since my Smith roos are at least as nice as him if not better. Genetics is such an interesting discipline (and I may be biased as I have my degree in molecular bio): I have one Paul Smith roo who has beautiful type, but not much substance and one frome the same hatch that is so beefy, but lacks the beard that his smaller brother has. They're both really nice birds though. I was going to get rid of Mr. Nasty anyway, but I was going to sell him, but seeing just how mean he has become and that he gives that to his sons, I just can't, with a clean conscience, sell him to someone else.

I'm going to the Ohio National but won't be taking any birds. Might have eggs by then...

And I loooove your projects and insights, Jerry. Your dedication, and willingness to share, is inspirational. Thank you for all the work you all but into this amazing breed!

I have a particularly mean roo who just so happens to throw blues (and lavenders depending on the hen- still haven't worked out that punnet square). Just kidding
tongue.png
, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.

I have a particularly mean roo who just so happens to throw blues (and lavenders depending on the hen- still haven't worked out that punnet square). Just kidding
tongue.png
, I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy.
Well as for the genetics of your rooster he would be both blue and lavender.I assume that part was not kidding.This is why mixing blue and lavender is not recommended.It makes them hard to classify.I produced a few of these 2 or 3 years ago just to see.It was thought to produce very light birds at that time.Not so with mine.They were a in-between shade of blue with dark specks.I test bred a rooster and got both colors depending on the hens color.I have since seen on the classroom at the coop posts that having both types of blue in one bird does not make a more diluted color.This is with 2 copies of lav and one of blue.It is also possible to have 1 copy of each color in 1 bird.Have fun working out the punnet square.

Back
Top Bottom