Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Okay what color would you call what looks like a Partridge color but it has a red breast? Not sure if the wing color is right either.

Going to try to get one this weekend. Actually I going to butcher him, 'cause I have too many roosters.
Yes, pips&peeps, I know what he is. Just a mixed breed that I bred, (1/2 EE, 1/4 Polish, and 1/4 Naked Neck). Just wanting to know if there was a name for the color.

Thanks everyone for the nice answers.

Last edited:
I just received my Ameraucana Breeder Club's 2014 Handbook in the mail. It is loaded with great information. Jean, I hope you can convey my heartfelt thank you to the people involved in putting this book together.

I read Paul Smith's article, "Should I Vaccinate for Laryngotracheitis" and it scared the dickens out of me. I am planning to go to my first poultry show March 1. I'm in Texas as is the show, so that article hit home to me. How do I vaccinate for this and is it too late?

Thanks.

These are project mottled ameraucanas. Could anyone sex these 2 juveniles for me please?
I had always assumed they were boys but now I am not at all sure.

Older hen

Those are pullets.

The eyes are too light, they are a bit fluffy and the legs need a lot of work.

I don't know what was used to create these birds, but they don't appear to be a true mottled bird to me. Mottled is described in the SOP as having a v-shaped white tip on all the feathers. These birds just seem to have random white splotches throughout the plumage.

I believe they are carrying a gene that inhibits dermal melanin, which causes the eyes and leg colors to be light. There may also be a gene called ID that causes the legs to be light also.

Those are pullets.

I don't know what was used to create these birds, but they don't appear to be a true mottled bird to me. Mottled is described in the SOP as having a v-shaped white tip on all the feathers. These birds just seem to have random white splotches throughout the plumage.

I believe they are carrying a gene that inhibits dermal melanin, which causes the eyes and leg colors to be light. There may also be a gene called ID that causes the legs to be light also.

I have another read on another site about a hysterical form of mottling like in exchanger leghorn. Perhaps that is what this is. As for leg and eye color try adding lavender to the mix. Lavenders have very dark legs and you may find the leg color improved on splits and mottled lavender.

I just received my Ameraucana Breeder Club's 2014 Handbook in the mail. It is loaded with great information. Jean, I hope you can convey my heartfelt thank you to the people involved in putting this book together.

I read Paul Smith's article, "Should I Vaccinate for Laryngotracheitis" and it scared the dickens out of me. I am planning to go to my first poultry show March 1. I'm in Texas as is the show, so that article hit home to me. How do I vaccinate for this and is it too late?

Thanks.

Generally you want to give the vaccine 30 days before a show. Since you are too late at this point, you can give the vaccine to your birds immediately when you come back home.

This vaccine is really easy to use and you can put it in the eye or you can dose by putting it on the nostril and waiting for the bird to breath and it will go into the nasal passage.

A lot of people prefer the nasal passage dose because they eye method will cause irritation to the eye. This irritation can be greatly exaggerated if the birds have MG.

I do the eye method because I know if the bird does not "take" on the vaccine and I can redoes. This will also indicate if the vaccine is bad if none of the birds show a "take".

Those are pullets.  

I don't know what was used to create these birds, but they don't appear to be a true mottled bird to me.  Mottled is described in the SOP as having a v-shaped white tip on all the feathers.  These birds just seem to have random white splotches throughout the plumage.

I believe they are carrying a gene that inhibits dermal melanin, which causes the eyes and leg colors to be light.  There may also be a gene called ID that causes the legs to be light also. 

Their selling these like hot cakes on the auction thread.

Pips your wheaten pullet lays the nicest blue egg with a shiny shell. The blue egg on the left. The black girl lays the green on the right.

I believe the exchequer is a mutated gene that was developed from white leghorns. This color has not been accepted by the APA to my knowledge.

It is something I have not figured out but my exchequer leghorns look more mottled than the exchequers should. Just putting this up for examples. The white seems more around the tips of the feathers like Jean described.

It is something I have not figured out but my exchequer leghorns look more mottled than the exchequers should. Just putting this up for examples. The white seems more around the tips of the feathers like Jean described.

What I read seemed to be saying that both forms can come from the same stock. Indicating that it is the same gene just a different expression. Much like wheaten males should not have black hackle stripes. However they do show up and could be bred for but that would be a non standard form of wheaten.

Back
Top Bottom