Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I'm just new to the breed, but I didn't see a black in the bunch. I saw a blue pullet, a white or maybe even a splash pullet (I thought it looked like some grey color on the head) and a dark blue that might even be a cockerel. That's what I saw, but as I mentioned, I'm really a novice.

I've been told that those white feathers often just molt out. Something like that can happen because something goes wrong as the feather is growing and normal pigment is not laid down. It might just molt out.
The one I referred to as black shows the bottle green of black in the sunshine. She does look dark blue in the shade but usually blue doesn't give out the bottle green of black. I too am rather new so I could be wrong! It will be interesting if the white speck on the wings molt out.

The one I referred to as black shows the bottle green of black in the sunshine. She does look dark blue in the shade but usually blue doesn't give out the bottle green of black. I too am rather new so I could be wrong! It will be interesting if the white speck on the wings molt out.

My dark blue cockerel has that shiny green color to his hackles and back. Here's are some pictures of him:

Here he is at 3 1/2 months:

Here is is all grown up and faded from the sun at 8 months:

Thank you!  I have no intention to breed the one with the beak issue.  I wonder though about that white.  She is from BBS stock.  Will she throw white?  Also the black isn't pure black, she has white spots on her wings.  Strange.  I've never seen BBS who just wern't BBS.  The only correct color is the blue and she has a beak problem.

I hatched a pure white from bantam BBS eggs. Emailed the breeder and says that she hasn't hatched but one pure white in 5 years. Said I was one lucky person, so to her it was a good thing. She very pretty. If she grows into a good bird I have hopes of showing her

My dark blue cockerel has that shiny green color to his hackles and back. Here's are some pictures of him:

Here he is at 3 1/2 months:

Here is is all grown up and faded from the sun at 8 months:

You can really see the blue on the cockerel. It will be interesting to see how mine turns out. Maybe she will 'blue up'

It's finally here, my first egg! The girls will be 36 weeks old tomorrow. I saw one checking out the nest box and when I went to look, there it was, it had rolled right down into the collection box. I'm so excited I could dance!

It's finally here, my first egg! The girls will be 36 weeks old tomorrow. I saw one checking out the nest box and when I went to look, there it was, it had rolled right down into the collection box. I'm so excited I could dance!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

I'm considering going to a really big poultry show in Ohio in November. I was looking through the winners of their 2013 show and came across this winner under Large Fowl ASOB:

Reserve Another Standard Breed - Matt Parker - White Americana Pullet

Pretty sad when a huge show can't get the breed name right.

Last edited:
I'm trying to fill in my entry forms for my first two poultry shows, and I'm a little confused.

What is Jr. Show? One entry form has and entry fee per bird for Jr. Show, plus and entry fee for Jr. Showmanship?

Is Jr. Show part of Junior (for kids) Showmanship? Is this club charging a fee for each bird a Junior will show, plus a fee for the child?

When I make my entries, I tick off Open Show?

I enter my Ameraucanas as LF Ameraucana and then the color variety?

There doesn't seem to be a spot for band numbers, do I put that on the entry form?

I've shown top winning dogs for decades and I can't believe I can't fill in this entry form! APA's web site offers me no help that I can find.

Thanks for everyone's help. I know once I do it properly once, I'll be smacking myself on the forehead for being so dense.

I'm trying to fill in my entry forms for my first two poultry shows, and I'm a little confused.

What is Jr. Show? One entry form has and entry fee per bird for Jr. Show, plus and entry fee for Jr. Showmanship?

Is Jr. Show part of Junior (for kids) Showmanship? Is this club charging a fee for each bird a Junior will show, plus a fee for the child?

When I make my entries, I tick off Open Show?

I enter my Ameraucanas as LF Ameraucana and then the color variety?

There doesn't seem to be a spot for band numbers, do I put that on the entry form?

I've shown top winning dogs for decades and I can't believe I can't fill in this entry form! APA's web site offers me no help that I can find.

Thanks for everyone's help. I know once I do it properly once, I'll be smacking myself on the forehead for being so dense.

Some answers:

• Junior show and Showmanship is that - it is the for the kids. As an adult, you are in the Open Show.
  • There is a fee for every bird in the show, including juniors. Unless the show organizers do it differently.
  • The shows are not concerned about your band numbers or NPIP band numbers. They are concerned that your birds meet NPIP/AI requirements. Do not enter band numbers on the form.
  • There is usually a column for B, LF, D, G, GU. & T designation. Respectively, bantam, large fowl, duck, goose, guinea, & turkey. Enter the appropriate abbreviation in the column.
  • There should be a Name of Variety and Breed column. Enter the name of your bird, e.g., black ameraucana, wheaten ameraucana, etc.
  • Then there should be columns to check to indicate C, H, K, P, OT, YT. Respectively, cock, hen, cockerel, pullet, trio, and six pack (LOL- not sure what YT stands for but it is for 6 birds)

Every show operates under its own management and that includes forms. So you may never run into two shows in which the forms are identical.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom