Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

This kind of came up with my eggs yesterday.  I know my eggs range in the Cs on the Am egg color chart, but the last week some of the eggs seem to be darker green.  I am not getting as many of the light/baby blues.  I am not saying they are laying different now... but they are greener.

DMRippy - maybe because you took the blue gene and put it with white, it made it brighter?
ive always read and heard from two diffrent people blue bred to white maid the eggs a pure sky blue with no green.

Last edited:
color can change for lots of diffrent reasons. It can dven be diffrent from day to day if the hens ova duct isnt consistent
x2... I've noticed that when my pullets start laying they seem to be a little greener. The eggs seem to lose some of the green tint once they have been laying for a while. Color then fluctuates in both saturation and tint during the laying cycles. I think the amount of green is less related to having two blue egg genes than the amount of brown egg influences hidden in underlying genes.... Just an opinion but it does seem logical as the green is clearly due to the amount of brown coating deposited on the outside of the shell as it is laid. Cross breeding to a white egg layer as mentioned in the sbel cross seems to eliminate these brown influencers completely in many cases giving a pure blue color.

I have not done much research in egg color but I think I know 2 things.... Blue egg color comes from BILE and Marans color eggs comes from something in the blood. I am not sure on these but if BILE is what causes the egg color.... too much would make it GREENER.... less would look bluer. I personally am not convinced the greener eggs have the brown in them. Now I am NOT saying all green eggs don't have brown in them, but you can get greener eggs without brown too..... I think.

This is a Marans, EE and a SBEL. The EE could have some brown egg genes in her.

2 Wheaten Am Eggs..... notice one is more SATURATED with color? but the same color really.

This is CCL, SBEL and CCL. The SBEL came from a cross of the CCL but those eggs look GREEN as they should have 2 copies of the blue egg gene and the SBEL has one.

I have not done much research in egg color but I think I know 2 things.... Blue egg color comes from BILE and Marans color eggs comes from something in the blood. I am not sure on these but if BILE is what causes the egg color.... too much would make it GREENER.... less would look bluer. I personally am not convinced the greener eggs have the brown in them. Now I am NOT saying all green eggs don't have brown in them, but you can get greener eggs without brown too..... I think. This is a Marans, EE and a SBEL. The EE could have some brown egg genes in her. 2 Wheaten Am Eggs..... notice one is more SATURATED with color? but the same color really. This is CCL, SBEL and CCL. The SBEL came from a cross of the CCL but those eggs look GREEN as they should have 2 copies of the blue egg gene and the SBEL has one.
There is an easy way to tell what color comes from the coating deposited when the egg is laid and which color comes from the pigment in the shell itself.... Justt open the egg , peel off the membrane and compare the inside of the shell with the outside.... If they are both the same then the pigment is from the shell. If the inside is blue and the outside is green(ish) the the green color comes from thin brown coating. My eggs always seem to have a bit of coating except for the bluest ones... I am curious now... I might look at a bunch of mine and see if this is always the case

EE or Blue Am? I got some eggs of of eBay claiming to be blue/black Ameraucanas, but I'm not so sure. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom