Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Would someone be so kind as to tell me exactly which varieties (colors) of the Ameraucana are officially accepted by the APA.....I have seen one post that specified that Lavender was 1 of 5 colors accepted by the APA and another that said they weren't official yet.....The Club web site lists 8 "approved colors" of which Lavender was not listed. If the Club web site lists the color as "approved" does that mean that color has been officially accepted by APA ? I would deeply appreciate clarification on this. Thank you very much.

The breed site is correct and those are the APPROVED colors by the APA. Lavenders are not an APA approved color.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

Last edited:
Hard to tell with the picture, but I'm thinking just a poor light blue, but I do see some areas that might be splash. Splash take some time to develop their coloring. If it is a splash, it should have overall white feathers with splashes of blue. Are any wing feathers white?
As far as sex, can't tell yet but if it is a blue and a male, as it develops the feathering will start turning darker in his cape. Same with splash males. They will usually develop darker feathers in their cape.
Thank you for trying. I'll try and get better pics in a day or two; Overall it is a very very pale grey color with a dark feather here and there. I'll have to look closer at the wings, at the moment couldn't tell you if there is any real white there or not.

Thank you for trying. I'll try and get better pics in a day or two; Overall it is a very very pale grey color with a dark feather here and there. I'll have to look closer at the wings, at the moment couldn't tell you if there is any real white there or not.

Looked like a splash to me. They are a pale grey with random splashes of dark blue on the feathers.

I have 4 Ameraucana chicks that are now between 5 and 6 weeks old. My coop has just been finished and I was wondering if they are ready to move out. The day temps this week will be between 64 and 80 degrees, but the night time temps will be between 40 and 60 degrees. This is a recent photo of one of them. What do you think? (These are my first chickens.)

Back
Top Bottom