Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I got them from a lady with several different breeds of chickens, ducks, and even quail in Riverside, CA. She's a backyard breeder but I picked up a Blue Copper Marans rooster from her that is very promising and I'm really happy with the way these girls are growing out, so I'll be visiting her again. They are White Ameraucanas. Someone on this forum saw my post regarding a White Am cockerel and I'm hoping to get one this January! So excited.

Found her on Craigslist. :)

Hi Magdelaine,
Do you have her contact info? I would love to contact her. I'm in that area. Thanks!

We are new to Ameraucanas & our first 4 hatched this morning. They are supposed to be Lavender and Blue. 3 of the 4 have distinct chipmunk stripes down their backs and one is solid yellow. Is this a way to sex them right now, or possibly tell if they will be blue or lavender or??? The difference is striking. I will have some pix when we move them from the incubator to the brooder later. Input and education would be great! Thank you.

We are new to Ameraucanas & our first 4 hatched this morning. They are supposed to be Lavender and Blue. 3 of the 4 have distinct chipmunk stripes down their backs and one is solid yellow. Is this a way to sex them right now, or possibly tell if they will be blue or lavender or??? The difference is striking. I will have some pix when we move them from the incubator to the brooder later. Input and education would be great! Thank you.

I don't think either of those colors should have chipmunk striped chicks.

Sounds suspicious . They should not be striped or yellow if blue or lavender . Sounds like Easter eggers . Pictures would help .

I agree, that doesn't sound at all like lavender/blue. Chipmunk and yellow are the most common EE chick colours. In my experience (though this completely varies), darker/striped chicks are more likely to be females while lighter colours like yellow are frequently male.

I agree, that doesn't sound at all like lavender/blue. Chipmunk and yellow are the most common EE chick colours. In my experience (though this completely varies), darker/striped chicks are more likely to be females while lighter colours like yellow are frequently male.

Here is a picture. The one on the far right is all yellow.

hey everyone birdman here come join me on my journey of turning into a little farmer with my flocks...the site below in blue is dedicated to my grandfather (recently passed)...he was a large farmer and I never got to show him what I could do with the knowledge he gave me...so im stepping up my game and doing what he would have wanted me to do ...be a little farmer...so follow along on the ride and get many tips and plenty of pics...right now im building 11 pens and my own incubator with step by step...so hope to see you there..here are some pics

Hello everyone. I have a question about my 7 month old Wheaten Ameraucana. She is a special girl for me and she seems quite healthy. She is just so much smaller than my other birds her age.
She was from a bad hatch. We lost power on day 17, and she was the only survivor, which makes her a pricey girl LOL! Maybe this has contributed to her size.

(she is dirty in the pic)

Her body shape has just surprised me, I wasn't expecting the roundness in this breed.
I think she is getting pretty close to lay. Should I expect a growth spurt soon?

Back
Top Bottom