Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My chicks:

Tiger

Sorry, this is an older picture. Tiger does not like being picked up :(

Fern

Beatrice (B)

Bea is trying to follow in her Fern's *footsteps? *wing flaps? And fly to the top of the brooder
:lol:

Fern will come sit on my hand while I post here lol
*shoos Fern off of the keyboard

They are all about 1 1/2 weeks old

Last edited:
It's not the greatest picture, but the color shows. This is the latest batch of chicks hatched from the splash rooster this weekend. I haven't been doing this long enough to learn the genetics, I just tried to mate my best roosters to produce the color I wanted. From customers pictures of them growing out, I am very pleased so far. I have some 4 week olds that I am keeping for myself, and I really like the blue that rooster is throwing. If they are too dark as adults, I will take them back to a blue rooster next year.

It's not the greatest picture, but the color shows. This is the latest batch of chicks hatched from the splash rooster this weekend. I haven't been doing this long enough to learn the genetics, I just tried to mate my best roosters to produce the color I wanted. From customers pictures of them growing out, I am very pleased so far. I have some 4 week olds that I am keeping for myself, and I really like the blue that rooster is throwing. If they are too dark as adults, I will take them back to a blue rooster next year.
Sweet! Looks just like the batch you sold me!

Sweet! Looks just like the batch you sold me!
Yep, the batches since yours have been pretty consistent. I've kept 14 for myself, and one I still think is quite possibly white. That's all I'm keeping from the splash rooster right now. Hopefully I'll get some keepers from the black set tonight. I'm still looking very much forward to getting a black from Susan, but I'd love to squeeze some chicks out of mine before he moves on

Yep, the batches since yours have been pretty consistent. I've kept 14 for myself, and one I still think is quite possibly white. That's all I'm keeping from the splash rooster right now. Hopefully I'll get some keepers from the black set tonight. I'm still looking very much forward to getting a black from Susan, but I'd love to squeeze some chicks out of mine before he moves on
Is this the black you talked about with fertility issues?

Is this the black you talked about with fertility issues?
Yes. I haven't set from him in a few weeks. I cracked a dozen two weeks ago, and he was 50%. All 4 girls are looking a little ragged now, so I'm going to give it another shot. I really need to keep those genes going. My blue rooster in the OE pen is having issues, too, so getting a Redden bird from Susan may be exactly what I need

Yes. I haven't set from him in a few weeks. I cracked a dozen two weeks ago, and he was 50%. All 4 girls are looking a little ragged now, so I'm going to give it another shot. I really need to keep those genes going. My blue rooster in the OE pen is having issues, too, so getting a Redden bird from Susan may be exactly what I need
I asked because I always thought fertility issues could be passed on. I have about 8 of Susan's blacks. They are very nice. I don't think you could go wrong with a Max baby!

I asked because I always thought fertility issues could be passed on.  I have about 8 of Susan's blacks.  They are very nice.  I don't think you could go wrong with a Max baby!
I know for sure that at least half these eggs have the bullseye. He also has his two favorite girls. If it's a monogamy issue, I'm not worried. If he's hitting the mark but they aren't developing, I'm scratching him altogether

I know for sure that at least half these eggs have the bullseye. He also has his two favorite girls. If it's a monogamy issue, I'm not worried. If he's hitting the mark but they aren't developing, I'm scratching him altogether
That makes sense. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom