Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. stonecottagefarm

stonecottagefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    Quote:Pretty eggs! And thanks to the person that wished me luck on the hatch. And thanks to the one that posted that link. I am going to buy it. Would love one for just ameraucanas but we have other breeds that are part of our preservation project so it will probably become my new bible.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Alot of the color definitions are in the standard and the front of the book has many detailed explanations of different types of feathers and disqualifications, etc.

3. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    pips&peeps :

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the new people on the thread to please buy a Standard of Perfection from the APA.......... [​IMG]

There is lots of good information in it!!!!!

True, but for us newbies who are visual learners, the SOP needs a pictoral description to make the most sense. [​IMG]
    I appreciate very much all you folks out there taking the time to help educate and share information! BYC is such a great venue in which to learn, question, educate and share!​

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Gorgeous egg!! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:True, but for us newbies who are visual learners, the SOP needs a pictoral description to make the most sense. [​IMG]
    I appreciate very much all you folks out there taking the time to help educate and share information! BYC is such a great venue in which to learn, question, educate and share!

I ordered a copy today; I can't really afford it, but don't see how I can afford to be without it if I intend to breed to the SOP. I did see they also offer a black and white pictorial guide [drawings I assume] to the breeds, for I believe $13 . While I think that it would be a valuable addition to get a visual of the APA's idea of the perfect shape and carriage of the Ameraucana, especially for those of us geared towards visual memory and learning processes, I didn't order it. I would love to see the Ameraucanas Breeders Club either add a written and color pictorial description of the SOP for each variety to its website, or print its own booklet for sale. [​IMG]

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:True, but for us newbies who are visual learners, the SOP needs a pictoral description to make the most sense. [​IMG]
    I appreciate very much all you folks out there taking the time to help educate and share information! BYC is such a great venue in which to learn, question, educate and share!

I ordered a copy today; I can't really afford it, but don't see how I can afford to be without it if I intend to breed to the SOP. I did see they also offer a black and white pictorial guide [drawings I assume] to the breeds, for I believe $13 . While I think that it would be a valuable addition to get a visual of the APA's idea of the perfect shape and carriage of the Ameraucana, especially for those of us geared towards visual memory and learning processes, I didn't order it. I would love to see the Ameraucanas Breeders Club either add a written and color pictorial description of the SOP for each variety to its website, or print its own booklet for sale. [​IMG]

I think that's a great idea Steve. I have that black and white pictorial guide, and you aren't missing anything by not getting it. I looked through it when I got it and haven't touched it since. I refer to my SOP constantly though!!

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:I ordered a copy today; I can't really afford it, but don't see how I can afford to be without it if I intend to breed to the SOP. I did see they also offer a black and white pictorial guide [drawings I assume] to the breeds, for I believe $13 . While I think that it would be a valuable addition to get a visual of the APA's idea of the perfect shape and carriage of the Ameraucana, especially for those of us geared towards visual memory and learning processes, I didn't order it. I would love to see the Ameraucanas Breeders Club either add a written and color pictorial description of the SOP for each variety to its website, or print its own booklet for sale. [​IMG]

I think that's a great idea Steve. I have that black and white pictorial guide, and you aren't missing anything by not getting it. I looked through it when I got it and haven't touched it since. I refer to my SOP constantly though!!

Does the SOP have any diagrams? I am under the impression that there are some illustrations ....

8. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:I think that's a great idea Steve. I have that black and white pictorial guide, and you aren't missing anything by not getting it. I looked through it when I got it and haven't touched it since. I refer to my SOP constantly though!!

Does the SOP have any diagrams? I am under the impression that there are some illustrations ....

There's lots of pictures of different things, combs, beaks, feather patterns, etc...

9. There are lots of great diagrams, etc in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=343605
    I
    have a copy of the '98 B&W ASOP and refer to if often, but there are no illustrations of Ameraucana (that I've been able to find).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    Quote:Does the SOP have any diagrams? I am under the impression that there are some illustrations ....

There's lots of pictures of different things, combs, beaks, feather patterns, etc...

10. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by