Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I have 2 clean faced pullets from Paul Smith that are absolutely gorgeous.

They have clean hackles, they have correct color, they actually have BLUE tail feathers- mind you, not just a bit of blue through the middle or ticking on the ends but the ENTIRE tail feather is BLUE. They are beautiful, but they have no beards/muffs. It makes me so sad.

ETA: Nice dark slate legs, correct eye color, beautiful solid blue primary and secondary wing feathers... I could go on and on about how beautiful I think these girls are.
    But they are clean faced! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Tomorrow I'm going to take pics.

Geoffry is aging beautifully. His son I hatched at NY is gorgeous and would be perfect but for a splash of black in the hackles.

AND... I hatched out a Splash Wheaten roo at Easter that is going to be spectacular. I can't wait to see what he looks like in October.

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

pips&peeps :

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the new people on the thread to please buy a Standard of Perfection from the APA.......... [​IMG]

There is lots of good information in it!!!!!

Got mine on order! Should arrive any day assuming the postal strike in Canada doesn't hold it up. [​IMG]

4. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:Got mine on order! Should arrive any day assuming the postal strike in Canada doesn't hold it up. [​IMG]

Good luck, hope it makes it there fast! We have one but it is from 2001, very handy to have and be able to read.

5. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:He is gorgeous!!

6. stonecottagefarm

stonecottagefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    pips&peeps :

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the new people on the thread to please buy a Standard of Perfection from the APA.......... [​IMG]

There is lots of good information in it!!!!!

I am borrowing one but would like to buy one. Any recs on best edition to get? Best place to buy? $60 is the price?

I find that I still can't always fully reference it. Such as when they say "full hackles," how do you measure that? Is there a yardstick? lol. And there's a lot of "small, medium, large, etc." So, threads like this really help because my perception of "full hackles" might not be the APA standard. Another set of more experienced eyes is really valuable to me. And as a lurker on this thread, there are lots of valuable experienced eyes on here. [​IMG]

PS: I have my very first two wheaten ameraucana chicks getting ready to hatch. [​IMG] I'll be posting pics soon! Pip little ones. Pip!​

7. BarnGoddess01

Quote:I am borrowing one but would like to buy one. Any recs on best edition to get? Best place to buy? $60 is the price?

I hunted around quite a bit. Best option would seem to be the current edition direct from the APA web site store. $59 includes shipping. http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm

Good
    luck with your hatch!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thanks for posting Barn Goddess I was just getting ready to ask where to get it. [​IMG] Thanks!

Darn they don't have one for JUST the Ameraucana, it's a huge book! I just want the AM SOP... lol. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    FINALLY got an egg out of one of the blue poultry girls- she's the almost 1-year old I posted a pic of last week. Maybe I shamed her into it!

[​IMG]

ok- how come the dirt on my table shows up fine, but the eggs are blurry? [​IMG]

10. BarnGoddess01

Quote:Beautiful blue egg! Congratulations!!!!! (And I didn't even notice the dirt until you pointed it out. [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by