Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:lol!! never too nerdy! [​IMG]

Thanks Christie

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    just hatched 8 healthy lavenders from Happymtn. I love them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. stonecottagefarm

stonecottagefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    Got my order for wheaten ameraucanas after waiting paatiently for months and I was sent the wrong breed chicks! [​IMG]

We have one rooster and one hen right now. I need to breed out the ticking in the hackles, too high tail feathers for the rooster. And for the hen I need, I need more black in the tail. Does anyone have any chicks or hatching eggs with/withhout these traits?

4. stonecottagefarm

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    Quote:Actually, here are photos of my rooster and hen to help....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  6. stonecottagefarm

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    Quote:Actually, here are photos of my rooster and hen to help....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/84523_ameraucana_rooster2.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/84523_ameraucana_hen1.jpg

The hen doesn't look bad at all. Its REALLY hard to find a good wheaten variety roo with clean hackles. I am trying to hatch and grow out some chicks now from my BW roo that look like they should have good color. We'll see....

So- what did they send you by mistake?

Marans. lol. Sent Lavender Orpington chicks that are GORGEOUS too. Healthy little chicks too. I'll have to re-home the marans as we already have a strict line we are working with. I was just sooo counting on those ameraucanas! She's a great breeder, I am going to try again.

7. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm just curious...what color offspring would result from breeding a splash roo to wheaten hens? I realize that the resultant chicks would be EEs. Just curious.
    Also, what is the difference between splash and blue splash? Are they both a whitish base color with the diffence being the color of the spots? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    The chicks would all be blue with varying amounts of red leakage, especially in the males.

Splash and "Blue Splash" are the same thing. It's a grayish white ground color with darker blue markings throughout.

9. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Quick question for the experts: (I know I should be posting this in the breed/sex section but I thought I'd get a more reliable answer here.)
    Can you tell if my 2-week old Wheaton Ameraucana chick is a pullet or a cockerel? I have only the one, so I have nothing to compare it to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please forgive the bit of poo on its foot. The chick tried to escape over the top of the EcoGlow... [​IMG]
    Thank you for your help!

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I normally wouldn't even guess at that age, but I am going to say that's a boy. Lots of black showing already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by