Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    So it's not just me with Roo Overload! [​IMG] I have 11 BBS in the grow out pen, and I have 3 pullets, 2 of which have a clean face and 8 roos! [​IMG] I have 15 more chicks in brooders and they are to young to sex confidently yet. I hope I get a few nice girls so I can start hatching my own eggs next spring. This has been a slow frustrating way to start a breeding flock.

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:Its nice to see some girls in somebody's picture! [​IMG] I swear somebody is coming to my house at night and leaving little wheatie roos everywhere.

Haha! I know! I hatched over 20 males and only 8 females! [​IMG] Can't wait 'till my girls start laying and I can hatch some of my own eggs!

Oh and another question, SINCE I have over 20 cockerels, between 6 and 14 weeks old, do you guys think I should cull the few with OBVIOUS defects now or wait?

Thanks!

Out of 20 I would begin culling down to what is definately not going to be a breeder. Any obvious that early isnt going to change. Just depends on how many roos you think you need.

3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Quote:I read....somewhere .....and the real experts can probably tell us where, that the hotter the incubator, the more it favors the male, but it's only a degree or a half degree. The reason I didn't pay more attention is because it didn't make sense to me. I assume the gender is predetermined at fertilization, however it was a very long and techincal report, it was actually reffering to the survivablity of the embryos at different temps.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That's only in reptiles.

5. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Quote:Temperature affects sex ratio of many animals - like some species of turtles. In the past I've researched this to see if I could find this type of study published on chickens and couldn't find anything. If you can locate that report, I'd love to see a link to it.

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    pips&peeps :

That's only in reptiles.

Oh Jean! You're going to make me go find it now. I definitely was in chickens. It wasn't changing the sex, It was survivability of embryos or " hatch rate".​

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I've read that the female embryos will survive hotter temperatures better, so I agree with you on that point.

8. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    pips&peeps :

I've read that the female embryos will survive hotter temperatures better, so I agree with you on that point.

Ok, this is not the article I was reading but is another on the same lines. Hotter temps favor the male embryos. Here is a quote from that article:

Neither chronic nor short-term increase in incubation temperature had a negative effect on hatchability and chick quality. Short-term warm stimulation improved hatchability by more than 1.5% and was associated with a significantly higher proportion of hatched male chicks

Here are 2 articles related to the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19904643

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/275/1652/2703.full

9. ParadiseFoundFarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Am I getting too nerdy (to quote our most recent Am Fan addition Christie Rhae) [​IMG] here?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:lol!! never too nerdy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by