Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hcammack, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:See- look at the difference in the leg color. I hope my babies from Jean are girls, I am buried in roos.

Actually their legs are darker than what shows in the pictures, but not as dark as your buffs. My Meredith buffs have darker blue legs than Jean's buffs. I happen to love the contrast of the dark blue legs with the buff colored feathers [​IMG] I hatched mostly buff roos also [​IMG]

One of my Meredith buffs has white legs so far, figures its a girl!

So- is crossing with the wheatens supposed to have any effect on plumage color, or just type and egg color? I'd hate to be counter-progressive by adding my "I don't feel like laying until I'm a year old" genes.

2. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    Quote:OK- I found this:
    Here are my observations regarding buff Ameraucanas.

With bantam buffs maybe the size is sometimes a bit too big and trying to get an even shade of buff color is always a goal. I don't think there is much wrong with them over all. I've noticed some black feathers in the wings on some of this years hatch. I didn't see any in my breeders.

The LF need much more work, with size, combs, eye color, sometimes leg color, egg color and of course the buff color itself.

That's from Blehm on the forum. I am STILL unabe to register there. Anybody have a clue about production in the buffs? And where did the color come from? Where is Illia?!??!?! [​IMG]

2 Britts- you should get some lavs to go with your blacks....hint hint!

I've seen some of your auctions on ebay and here and would love to get some of your lav eggs. Only problem is DW has pulled the plug on the incubator for now. Though the lavs are in the future for sure!

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Who need eggs? I have BIRDS! Come and get them! [​IMG]

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:If you weren't 6 hours away from me I might take you up on that [​IMG]

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

There is no market here for lavenders. I really wish I could ship them- they lay so well and chicks are so easy to hatch. That's the price I pay for living here! But it's great camping if anybody does want to make the trip! Just be ready to wake up at 4:30.

[​IMG]

!
    Hey Diane- I have about 6 BW eggs saved up so far. Going to mail them out Monday [​IMG]

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Actually their legs are darker than what shows in the pictures, but not as dark as your buffs. My Meredith buffs have darker blue legs than Jean's buffs. I happen to love the contrast of the dark blue legs with the buff colored feathers [​IMG] I hatched mostly buff roos also [​IMG]

One of my Meredith buffs has white legs so far, figures its a girl!

So- is crossing with the wheatens supposed to have any effect on plumage color, or just type and egg color? I'd hate to be counter-progressive by adding my "I don't feel like laying until I'm a year old" genes.

I was told not to use wheatens [​IMG] If that isn't the way to go, how the heck do you improve on the buffs egg color?

7. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV

There is no market here for lavenders. I really wish I could ship them- they lay so well and chicks are so easy to hatch. That's the price I pay for living here! But it's great camping if anybody does want to make the trip! Just be ready to wake up at 4:30.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/28521_100_4078.jpg

!
    Hey Diane- I have about 6 BW eggs saved up so far. Going to mail them out Monday [​IMG]

Beautiful picture! Is that your property??

What's with the 4:30 wakeup call?

Looking forward to the eggs! The lavs are doing fantastic!!

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have 20+ roosters, hence the 4:30 alarm clock [​IMG]
    That's our backyard. We have so many bugs we NEED chickens!

9. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.

How far from Knoxville are you? I'm about an hour east of there.

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN

How far from Knoxville are you? I'm about an hour east of there.

We're an hour north of Chattanooga. Going to be in Gaitlinburg next week for scouts though....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by