Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Great picture ! And if one picture is worth a thousand words ? .................. I have decided that I can adopt your white Ameraucana Cockerel ! Either bring him up to Ridgecrest or North Edwards where I need to go to collect chicks from Tricia at the end of the month. She is hatching some for me which go into lockdown on the 27th.

Quote:

For those of you experienced with hatching quality Ameraucanas - at what age do you start hatching the eggs from your birds? Is there a difference in size in the next generation if pullet eggs are used? Or perhaps I should ask, what is the best age of bird to use for hatching quality chicks?

Hi flower,
I'd be glad to get him to you. He's the sweetest thing...he's started fighting for the other three. He will try to take down the 10 week olds but backs down from my older pullets. Still waiting to see if I have any more cockerels.

WoW Wheatens 1 1/2 years that is crazy
hmm.png

Quote:
3 to 4 weeks. All wheaten chick feathers will have a random partridge pattern that doesn't represent gender at all. You might not be able to see it if they are splash wheaten. Wait til they get older and the big feathers start coming in on thier backs. Big blue or black splotches, not pattern, indicate males. SW are the exception- they will usually have some red though.

Thank you very much!

Quote:
As soon as the eggs are normal size- around 6 months of age. Uness you're talking about wheatens, which would be maybe 1 1/2 years when they finally start laying.

Oh my gosh! 1 1/2 years old before they lay?
th.gif
Is that the norm for wheatens? Holy cow that's a long time to wait for eggs! Why on earth would the wheatens be so much slower than the rest?

My wheatens are only 2 1/2 months old, so it looks like I may have a loooooooooonnnnngggg wait! They are one of my favorite varieties.

This may be a stupid question, but it seems reasonable to me... If they take that much longer to mature do they live longer?

Quote:
As soon as the eggs are normal size- around 6 months of age. Uness you're talking about wheatens, which would be maybe 1 1/2 years when they finally start laying.

lol.png

Quote:

Oh my gosh! 1 1/2 years old before they lay?
th.gif
Is that the norm for wheatens? Holy cow that's a long time to wait for eggs! Why on earth would the wheatens be so much slower than the rest?

My wheatens are only 2 1/2 months old, so it looks like I may have a loooooooooonnnnngggg wait! They are one of my favorite varieties.

This may be a stupid question, but it seems reasonable to me... If they take that much longer to mature do they live longer?

My Wheatens layed at 2 weeks less than 6 months. Amy, I think you need to have a talk with your Wheaten girls!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom