Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I've been waiting FOREVER on my two wheaten boys from Jean to grow out. It looks like I'm going to have to separate them now because "Whitebeard" has established that he is dominant and won't let "Blackbeard" come out of the coop to mingle with the ladies. I plan to move the best looking boy to a smaller area with a single pullet. The "runner up" gets to stay with my four older hens.

Whitebeard has a bigger beard, brighter comb, but a mixture of color in the hackles

I'd love to hear all of your opinions. Which one of these boys should show best?

Blackbeard is the blue banded boy
25108_easter_chick_016.jpg

25108_easter_chick_050.jpg

25108_easter_chick_033.jpg

Whitebeard is the red banded boy
25108_easter_chick_017.jpg

25108_easter_chick_048.jpg

25108_easter_chick_035.jpg

Both
25108_easter_chick_026.jpg

25108_easter_chick_027.jpg

I would keep blue band. He looks like he is going to mature into a very nice young man.

He has a nice tight comb, no leakage in the breast or thighs and a pretty even color. The hackles really aren't that bad either and better color in the tail.

A little late in replying, but after looking at the birds I decided I liked Blackbeard better. Then I scrolled down and read that I was not alone in that attraction.

Pretty unanimous for Blackbeard.

I just moved a bunch of my chicks to a little larger grow out area. My BCM's and golden lakenvelders went into the pen with the larger ameraucanas.

My lavender ameraucanas that I got from Jean are divided into two groups in two separate pens. They weren't quite big enough yet to go in with the older birds.

My bantams I put in with a younger bunch of chicks. All seem to be adapting well to their new surroundings.

Jean, I still have all 15 lavenders! No losses!

Back
Top Bottom