Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Ok, this silver chick is driving me nuts.

It's about 9 weeks old. The other three are easy to tell if boy or girl. The color on the wings, dark breast, and the comb are just odd on this one with it's other coloring. There isn't really any white on it other than the female looking neck and head feathers.

What do you experts think it is?

Said bird on left, sister on right

The chick in question is just barely in the pic on the left. Sister and one of the brothers in center.

I'd guess male? Sometimes my blue and black Ameraucana roosters are just "late bloomers" but with a comb that wide I would say male. Plus it looks like the hackle feathers are getting kind of pointy.... any evidence of saddle feathers yet?

I had a blue wheaten chick (only one out of seven that hatched) that had similar problems. It had curled toes/nubs for feet from the moment of hatching. I tried the band aide routine over a period of ~ two weeks. Unfortunately, it never resolved and the chick was hobbling around on curled nubs for feet. Since I could net get this resolved, I culled the poor chick. Sad story but I did not want it to suffer further or be picked upon by other chicks for being different.

Not to be the bad guy but I would cull all of them. I seriously question if they are pure silver or not????? The one in question looks to be a cockerel but color is not right. Should have some white in wing bow and shoulder by now. Female shafting is a serious issue, and the second male on the right........ well his color is way off also. Way to much white in him should be more black . Like I said sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you want quality silvers go to the ABC breeders list there is a few good breeders there.

I'd guess male?  Sometimes my blue and black Ameraucana roosters are just "late bloomers" but with a comb that wide I would say male.  Plus it looks like the hackle feathers are getting kind of pointy.... any evidence of saddle feathers yet?

I don't see any pointy hackle or saddle feathers yet on ay of the boys. I've been checking. They should be getting them in soon.

I can only keep one boy because my DH has dibs on the last rooster space.

I had a blue wheaten chick (only one out of seven that hatched) that had similar problems. It had curled toes/nubs for feet from the moment of hatching. I tried the band aide routine over a period of ~ two weeks. Unfortunately, it never resolved and the chick was hobbling around on curled nubs for feet. Since I could net get this resolved, I culled the poor chick. Sad story but I did not want it to suffer further or be picked upon by other chicks for being different.
Sorry to hear about your chick, but there is only so much you can do.

As wlrabbitry said you have what are called Easter Eggers on BYC. They make great birds, but they are not the breed Ameraucana (note the AU in the middle) or the breed Auracana.

Actually it's "Araucana" - not "Auracana". The "AU" is in the middle of both breeds and there is no "i" in Ameraucana.

God Bless,

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry wait till these juvenile feathers are gone. Once the adult feathers come in id start asking. Ive had Blue Wheatens females go threw a white stage. and others like my Wheaten roo it took longer than 9 weeks to loose his white feathers and turn mostly black. I'm not a fan of judging them on their juvenile feathers that wont look nothing like the adult feathers.

I wouldn't worry wait till these juvenile feathers are gone. Once the adult feathers come in id start asking. Ive had Blue Wheatens females go threw a white stage. and others like my Wheaten roo it took longer than 9 weeks to loose his white feathers and turn mostly black. I'm not a fan of judging them on their juvenile feathers that wont look nothing like the adult feathers.

not as familiar with these, but that is very true with my Faverolles, esp the boys

Back
Top Bottom