Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote:
There are exceptions - but you can state what color your birds are, i.e. - Splash and Lavender. Both are colors. One may never be accepted as a showable color (Splash) but will be considered part of the BBS breeding program so is accepted that way (shirt-tail cousin). Silkies got theirs accepted, I wonder if some day other Splashes could be accepted. The other (Lavender) is working on being accepted, but there is an argument about the name (in which other breeds have had to use Self Blue instead of Lavender).

I was talking about the Partridge, mixed colors, Blue/Gold/Black etc mixes that are not project colors and are not being worked on being accepted. Its a simplified answer - but there are always exceptions. However, finding a name for your color does not magically make your bird an Ameraucana. There is a lot more to it than that, but that is the shortest answer.

you are correct. I have wheatans, they're an accepted color but when bred you can get a splash...the splash aren't accepted colors but still an ameraucana I was told.
I don't know if that statement above is correct.  I have a couple of splash Ameraucanas.  Splash as far as I understand not an accepted color.  They most certainly are Ameraucanas.  I also have a lavender Ameraucana, again, not an accepted color.

I have a pullet..she is a pretty large full body and a beautiful single row of peas. Longer tail feathers, acts like a girl looks like a girl, no saddle feathers, all feathers soft and rounded. She started to try to breed yesterday and tried to crow.
lau.gif
My she turned into a he. He should be getting some male looking parts soon..He is almost 4 months old.
Wow! what a suprise that must of been!

was out snapping pictures today and had to take one of this handsome boy. He's my husband's favorite rooster. An example of a "not an accepted color" Blue Wheaten Splash

Last edited:
At what age do you decide which birds are better for show? My oldest black Ameraucana roo is gorgeous at 6 months, but the younger batch is only 4 months.

was out snapping pictures today and had to take one of this handsome boy. He's my husband's favorite rooster. An example of a "not an accepted color" Blue Wheaten Splash

What were his parents? Never heard of a BW Splash. I have a Splash Wheaten and it's similar but the body is white vice the pale blue.

God Bless,

Okay, another question. I've got some 14 week-old black Ameraucana cockerels that are not ending up being show-worthy. I am wondering if it's worth it to feed them out to about 6-7 months to butcher them, or should I just cull/sell them now? I've got someone that will butcher for $2/bird. I am allergic to factory chicken broth, so I make my own by crock-potting whole chickens, so I don't need good fryers etc. I know they are not a table bird, but would I just be wasting my time/money?

Thanks,
Angela

Back
Top Bottom