Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Quote: The reproductive system can be compromised by poor daily nutrition and even more so by exposure to infectious disease. Low calcium levels are associated with egg binding. Tumors caused by disease in the ovarian tract can be a common cause of failure in the hen’s reproductive organs and hens that are too fat can suffer prolapsed oviducts. Bacterial and respiratory infections can also derail the egg-laying process. Yolk peritonitis may result from secondary bacterial infection. The mature hen only has one active ovary (the second ovary does not develop), which can atrophy from disease or severe stress caused by a lack of feed or water. So as you can see, keeping your hens as healthy as possible will have a lot of bearing on producing vigorous eggs with a healthy vitality and viability.

Herbs are a perfect choice for supplying all these vitamins and minerals, but calcium and protein as well.
Nettle (Urtica dioica) is a good choice herb. This nutritive herb is particularly high in calcium, protein, manganese, phosphorus, and potassium, Vitamins A & C, among others. Another nutritive herb, alfalfa (Medicago sativa) contains proteins, amino acids, minerals, and high in chlorophyll, which makes it a valuable antioxidant. Lamb’s quarters (Chenopodium album) has long been used as a pasture forage food. It is a great tonic for the whole digestive system. It is high in protein, calcium, and vitamin A & C, B complex vitamins and iron. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) is a complete food that should be easy for everyone to find to use! It is high in protein, vitamins A, C, K, D, and B complex, iron, manganese, phosphorus and other trace minerals. These greens can be applied fresh or dried, or as an herbal tea. When offering as tea, make sure the waterer is nearby brooding hens and offer another separate waterer nearby. This should be offered to the growing chicks as well to build healthy immune systems. Herbal tea offers the array of benefits of these herbs in a uniform, concentrated mixture that ensures the hen is dosed with as much as she chooses to drink. It can be considered a "green" food and offered daily.

Hens will lose weight and valuable fat from their bodies because of the redirection of nutrients from their own bodies to egg production. They are slower to recover from molt if they lay during molt too. Hens should be a healthy weight before egg production begins. Once egg production has begun, it is hard to adjust body weight. Garlic oil made with olive oil (or another monosaturaIted fat), (I use duck fat or bacon fat)raw crushed garlic, and then mixed with sunflower seed or wild birdseed will give hens healthy fats, and also provide medicinal value from the garlic. Applying this oil periodically during the winter months will not only help to keep the birds internally warm, but help prep them for spring as well.

I wrote a bit more here and you can read more if you like..This is getting long..and I do not want to make people upset with my long post..

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/05/herbs-and-their-uses-for-your-chickens.html

Chick N mamma...sorry for the confusion. My black one is born in marsh but the lavander one were born spring of 2012. They started laying at around 7 months...they layed all winter. One day in spring my dog went into the coop, but nothing happened, and I think they got scared. For the first months I taught it was ok but since then I got 1 egg...nothing else. You think that that their "scareness" (not sure it is the right word)..coukd have done that?

I would say light blue...let me show you I think I have a pic on my cell...

The one on the left is a Chantecler egg and the other one an Amérau...

This is my pastel box as I like to call it...

Another pix of this time where I got a double yolk egg..bigger than the other.
Nice sized eggs

Last edited:
Delisha,

Thanks for the good tips. My flock is almost 100% of the time free range on a wild pasture. There is a chicken run but I open it when I'm home wich is almost all the time. So they eat grass...I guess a lot of dandalions since there is a lot..neattle also but I will look for making the tea. I give once a month garlic in the water. I live the garlic (sometimes thyme also) in the water as long as it smells. I will read your post carefully...

Thanks.

Isabelle

Hi. I'm fairly new to PB ameraucanas, having had one roo, and one hen. The rooster was dispatched because he was very rough on the hens and the one hen I still have. Now I have a straightrun batch of 6. They are 13 weeks old and came from whitmore farm in Emmitsburg, MD. I am observing that all of them have curved tail feathers. Is this common in Ameraucana hens? I hope so because otherwise i'm afraid I have all boys :(

Here's a picture or two of what I mean. So what's your verdict, boy or girl at 13 weeks old?

Hi. I'm fairly new to PB ameraucanas, having had one roo, and one hen. The rooster was dispatched because he was very rough on the hens and the one hen I still have. Now I have a straightrun batch of 6. They are 13 weeks old and came from whitmore farm in Emmitsburg, MD. I am observing that all of them have curved tail feathers. Is this common in Ameraucana hens? I hope so because otherwise i'm afraid I have all boys :(

Here's a picture or two of what I mean. So what's your verdict, boy or girl at 13 weeks old?

Id say both are boys. only the males get sickle feathers. I tried to hold out hope for my splash but the sickle feathers dont lie. I did not think about the sickles when i asked for advice about my splash roo.

Id say both are boys. only the males get sickle feathers. I tried to hold out hope for my splash but the sickle feathers dont lie. I did not think about the sickles when i asked for advice about my splash roo.

X2 Sorry those are both boys, the long pointy feathers that start at the base of the tail and fall gently down the body are sickle feathers.

Is it possible to get a cockerel into show condition while still allowing him to free range? He's a blue, so is suspect sun bleaching would rule that out. I'm in Texas and am aiming for shows after October.

I've just started free ranging them. My pit bull-type dog has been really good with them. The mini Dachshunds, after a killing spree while in the care of my son while I was on vacation, are leaving them alone. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the cockerels are so much bigger than the little Dachshunds now. (Dachshunds are not outside without supervision when the chickens are out.) I've been letting my parrots out to fly while I take care of the chickens in the morning. The macaws are excellent at alerting to avian predators. Between the macaws and the big dog, the chickens are probably reasonably safe outside. The macaws have been quite interested in the chickens. I had been hoping to be able to house the chickens in the aviaries so they could clean up the very expensive organic parrot food that the parrots throw on the ground. The other day, the big scarlet macaw went to ground near the chickens. Two of the cockerels (4.5 months old) fluffed up their hackles and flew at the bird. It was pretty funny. Not sure how safe any of the birds will be if housed together.
I have all of my birds free ranging and I have no problems with their condition. You just have to watch out, if you throw them scratch, the corn will change the color of the black from green to purple and that's not as desirable. I don't have a problem with sun bleaching because we live in the hot, hot South and the chickens stick to the shade until feeding time.

I have all of my birds free ranging and I have no problems with their condition. You just have to watch out, if you throw them scratch, the corn will change the color of the black from green to purple and that's not as desirable. I don't have a problem with sun bleaching because we live in the hot, hot South and the chickens stick to the shade until feeding time.

Even the chickens you exhibit? I live in south central Texas, and we have had something like 3 weeks of heat at record or near record temps. Most days have been well over 100. When we have a day of 99, I think we are having a cool spell. The chickens tend to stay under the trees, but in the cooler fall weather, I expect they'll enjoy the sunshine. Any suggestions for getting young chickens in show condition that free range? Thanks for any help/advice.

I have had many differing opinions about this pullet, so it's time to put this controversy to rest :). This is Rosie, my so called Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. I have been looking for a true Wheaten Ameraucana for a pretty long time when I found her. I knew nothing about Ameraucanas other than they had muffs and they layed pretty blue eggs, so I wanted one of course! I've since done research and found that her legs are not the color a pure bred Ameraucana is supposed to be. I've pretty much ruled out all possibility of her being pure, what is your opinion? I'm keeping her either way, she is so sweet. Her legs are more gray green than the picture shows.

Back
Top Bottom