Wry neck or other condition in newborn duck.

Duckloveportugal

In the Brooder
May 19, 2024
Good morning everyone.
I started incubating duck eggs for the first time 26 days ago.
My first duck was born in day 24 and the second in day 25 im still waiting for more of them to hatch.
But the second born duck has apparently some neck problem and cant put his head straight, he also walks backwards.
He feels to have as much energy as the other baby duck the day before and will stand up if i hold him.
What can I do to help this baby?
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-19 at 04.37.24.jpeg

I really want to save this baby. I gave him a Lil water that i mixed with nutritional yeast with added B vitamins. But its really hard to have him drink with his twisted neck.
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-19 at 05.07.02.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-19 at 05.07.33.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-19 at 05.07.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-19 at 05.07.33.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 2
Can you get pictures of the duckling without the red light, it's really hard to see what is going on, Thanks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wry-neck-help.1603690/#post-27296424
go to post 6 on this link. Only thing I would change is the B complex I'd use liquid since this is a newly hatched duckling just a few drops 2X a day along the bill or just inside being very careful not to shoot it down her throat. Or any liquid you don't want to aspirate her. Everything will have to be given in tiny amounts since she is newly hatched.
:welcome

Last edited:
I could only get my hands on those two products that dont contain iron. I read that it needs extra vitamin E. How should I use those? By the way another duckling just hatched! And the two eggs with an external pip in the pictures are about to have 48h since they cracked it. Now i dont see any movement but im afraid to assist.
1000011153.jpg
1000011152.jpg
1000011151.jpg

Can you get pictures of the duckling without the red light, it's really hard to see what is going on, Thanks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wry-neck-help.1603690/#post-27296424
go to post 6 on this link. Only thing I would change is the B complex I'd use liquid since this is a newly hatched duckling just a few drops 2X a day along the bill or just inside being very careful not to shoot it down her throat. Or any liquid you don't want to aspirate her. Everything will have to be given in tiny amounts since she is newly hatched.
:welcome
Thank you! Here are the picture of this lil baby outside the brooder. I also bought nutrional yeast and mixed it with their water.
1000011160.jpg

Attachments

• 20240519_125239.jpg
    20240519_125239.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240519_125256.jpg
    20240519_125256.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 1
1000011163.jpg

Should i help this one get out? Its gona be 48h since he made the first small hole. now. One hour ago he made
Here is info on assisting.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pictures-of-assisting-a-duckling-to-hatch.1326242/
I don't see selenium listed on the top pic is it a liquid? the vitamin e just start with small drops. I'll see if I can find how much the duckling should be getting since it's just new.
Thank you you are an angel.The orange vitamin is an efervescent pill. I put one quarter of it in 200ml and gave it to them. The sick duck drank a little. The other seems to have liked it.

Your probably going to have to help this little one eat and drink when it's ready. Sometimes they will go 24 hrs or longer before they get an appetite. Start by placing some wet starter on the tip of your finger and see if you can get some nibbles. Wetting the feed usually helps them I always put a little tad of ACV with mother just to keep it fresh longer.
Keep us updated on how they are doing. Also if you can find baby vitamins without iron that is another way to get them over wry neck along with the vitamin E

Your probably going to have to help this little one eat and drink when it's ready. Sometimes they will go 24 hrs or longer before they get an appetite. Start by placing some wet starter on the tip of your finger and see if you can get some nibbles. Wetting the feed usually helps them I always put a little tad of ACV with mother just to keep it fresh longer.
Keep us updated on how they are doing. Also if you can find baby vitamins without iron that is another way to get them over wry neck along with the vitamin E
Hey! I assisted the hatch of the two ducklings in the egg. One of them made it once i broke half the shell the other seemed to have died of skinwrapped. What are nipples and ACV? Im trying to help the little one drink but he wriggles too much. He managed to drink one drop from my finger but he cant keep his head on the same place. Isnt thenorange vitamin i got good enough? it doesnt have iron. Very hard to get my hands on anything else.

Back
Top Bottom