Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Is this just juvenile feathering Harry? I had a pullet in 2010 that was quite mottled as a juvenile and lost all of it by the final juvenile molt.

How is the leg color?

Clare
Clare,
The leg colors were right but the birds would have scattered white feathers in the permanent plumage. It may have been another pattern type gene than mottled but simular looking. I dumped the parent black stock which I bought two years ago since there were more than just one issue with them, luckily I never introduced them into my flock. I bought some chicks from Paul that had my lavender lineage so I hope they can help but I have hatched a good amount of my own stock to get replacements this year. I got them from Paul just incase my year was not successful.

With the spotted legs I would say the mottled gene is involved.It affects black/slate in the legs also.Nice backyard layers but not show stock.EE I would say.Sounds like you only wanted pullets for eggs.So it sounds like you got blue egg layers no matter what they are called.I am sure you will enjoy them.They will probably lay better than show stock.
You paid a lot extra to get supposedly pure true Ameraucana from MPC - I would be demanding compensation. This is what they claim on their site:

Yes! We are finally offering true Ameraucanas as baby chicks! These are not "Easter Eggers," nor are they the "Araucanas" some other hatcheries sell (which are really Easter Eggers, too). These are the true-blue, APA-recognized breed. Ameraucanas have a sweet temperament and lay pretty, light blue eggs--and the Wheaten Ameraucana is known to lay the most vibrant-blue egg of them all. Quantities are very limited, so reserve your order quickly!

Yes! We are finally offering true Ameraucanas as baby chicks! These are not "Easter Eggers," nor are they the "Araucanas" some other hatcheries sell (which are really Easter Eggers, too). These are the true-blue, APA-recognized breed. Ameraucanas have a sweet temperament and lay pretty, light blue eggs. Quantities are very limited, so reserve your order quickly!

PLEASE NOTE: The color blue does not hatch "true" in chickens. Blue is a diluting gene for black. So, 50% of your Blue Ameraucanas will hatch blue, and 25% will be black. The last 25% will be "splash," having received two diluting genes. Splash is a very light color, pale blue or white with "splashes" of black and darker blue in the feathers, especially in the wings and tail. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN YOU ORDER! Not all of your blues will actually be blue!

They charged you $18 plus shipping which is more that I would pay from a breeder for really good pure stock. Here is an order form for the real deal directly from John Blehm http://chickhatchery.com/DnLd/Order Form - Chicks.pdf and his are only $6 to $9 per chick. I would be raising a little noise with them.

Ditto
You paid a lot extra to get supposedly pure true Ameraucana from MPC - I would be demanding compensation. This is what they claim on their site:

They charged you $18 plus shipping which is more that I would pay from a breeder for really good pure stock. Here is an order form for the real deal directly from John Blehm http://chickhatchery.com/DnLd/Order Form - Chicks.pdf and his are only $6 to $9 per chick. I would be raising a little noise with them.

Thank you for this link, what an amazing setup and good looking birds! I may have to order some for next spring.

$18! I can't believe that. I've got some EE's running around the back yard that I wouldn't ask $10 for and they're laying age! I would totally tear them a new one.

I think its best to stick to the breeders on the ABC website, I haven't gotten burned yet.

Need to ask for critiques on these birds from the pro's! Thanks.

First up my wheaten cockerel

This is my wheaten hen

I love this black boy! Tell me how he looks! A spring cockerel...

Last edited:
Lol we just fell in love with him! But that isn't a critique! I am evaluating them for breeding of course...but he does have a big one and big cheeks to go with it. He also has correct colored legs, nice back, just all around nice bird...but I don't know the ends and outs of some of the SOP stuff. ;)

I have no experience with wheatens. The black boy looks pretty nice to me from the photos you posted. I can get a good sense of his topline but not his underline. If you want some critiques try to get a shot directly from the side level with the bird, when he is standing in a natural pose. It's harder to get a feel for the birds shape when they are being held like they are in the photo. I will ask though, does this boy free range a lot? It looks like his beard and muffs are a little brownish. My understanding is this can be from overexposure to the sun. Hopefully he will molt early enough this fall to have some gorgeous new feathers before the shows in your area start.

Back
Top Bottom