Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

The Ameraucana breeders vs. the EE breeders is like the Cold War lol.

Ameraucanas are cool because they're a real breed that conforms to standards... But...
When bashing EE's... Remember, all real Ameraucanas were EE's at one point ;)

Ameraucanas and EEs are both fabulous.

I wish the title of this thread could be changed to something like: "ABC approved ameraucanas colors only thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds"

There are separate threads for EEs , and I believe for true ameraucana projects

And then the different types of birds (APA approved, projects and EEs ) could be discussed on the appropriate threads and there would less debating the same issues over and over on this thread.

Last edited:
Question about chick leg color. Earlier this week I got 3 bbs ameraucana chicks, but they have yellow legs. Is that normal? Will they darken with age? They are not even a week old yet.

Thanks

The Ameraucana breeders vs. the EE breeders is like the Cold War lol.

Ameraucanas are cool because they're a real breed that conforms to standards... But...
When bashing EE's... Remember, all real Ameraucanas were EE's at one point
wink.png
And EE are really still Ameraucanas they are just mixed color mutts but still Ameraucanas. Their genetics don't magically turn into a different breed. If you took two pure Ameraucanas bred a black and white just for example they would be mixed and everyone would call them an EE but their genetics are still Ameraucana.

I don't really see where there is a problem with discussing color projects on this thread. There is a huge difference between hatchery EEs where birds are mated with no rhyme or reason ( though producing some gorgeous results) and breeders diligently working on true Ameraucana in different varieties. Maybe I missed it because I only check BYC every few months, but when Henry started this theard it was to discuss all Ameraucana, and he even expressed anintrest in Lavender and Splash, as well as other people projects. Not sure why this thread has morphed into " approved colors only". I truly don't believe that was ever OP's intent. I'm a believer in constantly working to improve the breed wether it be by better type, egg color, hardiness, or new varieties (which be honest, can attract new enthusiasts).

Just makes me sad to see a open, upbeat, enjoyable thread brought down.

And EE are really still Ameraucanas they are just mixed color mutts but still Ameraucanas. Their genetics don't magically turn into a different breed. If you took two pure Ameraucanas bred a black and white just for example they would be mixed and everyone would call them an EE but their genetics are still Ameraucana. 

This isn't really true. The genetics are different. You can have an Auracana cross, and it is in know way genetically an Ameraucana. It is however an EE. Some hatcheries may have started with the occasional Ameraucana to get the gene for blue eggs, but have birds that are genetically 99% something else.

Ameraucanas can be EEs by crossing colors or trying to introduce a new trait borrowed from another breed, but all EEs are not Ameraucana.

I don't really see where there is a problem with discussing color projects on this thread. There is a huge difference between hatchery EEs where birds are mated with no rhyme or reason ( though producing some gorgeous results) and breeders diligently working on true Ameraucana in different varieties. Maybe I missed it because I only check BYC every few months, but when Henry started this theard it was to discuss all Ameraucana, and he even expressed anintrest in Lavender and Splash, as well as other people projects. Not sure why this thread has morphed into " approved colors only". I truly don't believe that was ever OP's intent. I'm a believer in constantly working to improve the breed wether it be by better type, egg color, hardiness, or new varieties (which be honest, can attract new enthusiasts).

Just makes me sad to see a open, upbeat, enjoyable thread brought down.

Amen. Also people working on projects could benefit and use experts advice. From the experts that would never go on the EE thread. it's also the new enthusiasm from people new to chickens that post their EE pictures on here. I've had lots of private messages talking to these people. its really sad how discouraged this thread has made them. Maybe the purest should start a new thread only for accepted colors that way the new enthusiasm is not crushed. Maybe Phage can work on getting one going

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom