Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Are you an ABC member? You seem to be alittle confused by the ABCs philosophy and goals. If you check out the ABC forum project gariety are discussed openly and enthusiastically. The members do not exhibit close mindedness and are very active about growing the breed.

Again, op's intent was a thread in which we could talk about all Ameraucanas and projects, not sure why you are trying to twist it into your own thread. Perhaps you should start your own if you are offended by our love (and dedication to growing) of our choosen breed. Thsts the great thing about forums, you are free to start just about any thread you want.

ETA: Don't know why my quoting is showing...

Last edited:
What I don't get is you want advice from experts in this breed but are unwilling to accept their (official) description of the breed???

There are other threads to discuss projects

The Ameraucana Breeders Club discusses project colors. I read much of one thread discussing improving the lacing on blues. One woman wanted to use blue Andalusians to get better lacing. Some of the experts of the breed were encouraging her, offering advice and sharing their experiences using different breeds to improve lacing, pointing out some recent national winners who traced back to Sumatra breeding.

To say that Ameraucanas are "pure" is a bit of a stretch to someone like me who has bred Thoroughbred horses, a breed that has had a closed registry since the 1700s with every single registered Thoroughbred today tracing back to at least one of three stallions imported to England in the 17th century.

I think it is important to promote the breed and encourage newcomers, and you can't do that when there is almost a "sniff" in front of the dreaded words, Easter Egger. Those people who bought "Americanas" from a hatchery might turn into serious Ameraucana breeders and exhibitors. Not all, but the odd one will. However, if they are treated in a patronizing fashion, they will be gone from the breed. I don't think a new breed like Ameraucanas can afford to lose those interested in the breed.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
That's what I did. Started with EE's now moving into Ameraucana's and only have one EE due to her being a great brooder and mom

The Ameraucana Breeders Club discusses project colors. I read much of one thread discussing improving the lacing on blues. One woman wanted to use blue Andalusians to get better lacing. Some of the experts of the breed were encouraging her, offering advice and sharing their experiences using different breeds to improve lacing, pointing out some recent national winners who traced back to Sumatra breeding.

To say that Ameraucanas are "pure" is a bit of a stretch to someone like me who has bred Thoroughbred horses, a breed that has had a closed registry since the 1700s with every single registered Thoroughbred today tracing back to at least one of three stallions imported to England in the 17th century.

I think it is important to promote the breed and encourage newcomers, and you can't do that when there is almost a "sniff" in front of the dreaded words, Easter Egger. Those people who bought "Americanas" from a hatchery might turn into serious Ameraucana breeders and exhibitors. Not all, but the odd one will. However, if they are treated in a patronizing fashion, they will be gone from the breed. I don't think a new breed like Ameraucanas can afford to lose those interested in the breed.

Just my thoughts.
As delisha said-well said. And I would be one of the odd ones that started with EEs and am now going to seriously start breeding and showing. Have been showing for 2 years, but am still growing out good stock to start breeding. But I still have EEs. I will always have some, same with ameraucanas I will always have some.

Everyone in chickens have been completely different From my expectations spent in both dogs and horses and raising English budgies . I made many friends , started several breed-specific clubs for both dogs horses and Budgies and united people in the cause of the breed's "best interest . The people in Chickens so far have been very Friendly and open to new comers without judgments , Putting the Breed interest ahead of personal gain and competiveness , the deadly sin of any breed or species of breeder which ultimately destroys The programs and breeds which they were designed and brought into being to protect.

Work to gain knowledge from books and sources and do NOT depend on people to give you that knowledge. With the best of intentions those we depend on for that knowledge are expanded and those receiving often accurate knowledge places that person on a pedestal and a god like syndrome is created and perpetuated and from there leads to a grasping for more power and dominance over the area that they feel is due to themselves because they once shared some knowledge in one specific field. Benevolent knowledge once freely shared becomes a tool by which they increase their own ego and suddenly the once enjoyable event of a club becomes a power tool in which knowledge is sold to the persons who give the highest praise to

To give flattery is some one seeking flattery and PRAISE to seek flattery is some one seeking Power .Both are very addictive both leads to momentary respite however both leads to destruction.

Praise God alone and enjoy your friendships but keep yourself and others as equals.

I picked up this guy yesterday. I'm new to the breed so I'm unfamiliar with it, but is this a Silver Ameraucana or An EE? The previous owner said he came from a blue egg if that info is of any use.

Back
Top Bottom