Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Definitely a step in the right direction. I have heard of people getting some whites from them, which I find odd since they don't carry that color. Who knows. I thought they had another color too. Wheaten maybe? I will have to look later

They did have wheaten but I did not see any availible this year. Withe the past few weeks the wheaten disappeared off the web site. They may have had some trouble with their breeders. My splash from them was very white. And did not show splash for over a week. When I called meyer about identifying them from the EE I got in the same box the girl seemed to know what she was talking about looking for slate colored legs vs green on th EE. Things like that... I will try to post Picts soon

Oh it would be ideal if those middles were pullets. Truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the top three and the last one. I mean, I don't see what makes the bottom one a cockeral and the top ones pullets. They look the same to me. Is it because more blue is showing in the wing feathers? The second to last is obviously a wheaten and I can see it being a cockeral. Do you think the fourth picture is a splash wheaten?

It might just be the light. You definitely got some splash and maybe blue ones. I don't know how to sex a splash from a photo. Look at their combs mine are about the same age and the roosters have a really pink comb.

The lighting makes them look a bit darker but they had hatch date of Apr 28th

Last edited:
They did have wheaten but I did not see any availible this year. Withe the past few weeks the wheaten disappeared off the web site. They may have had some trouble with their breeders. My splash from them was very white. And did not show splash for over a week. When I called meyer about identifying them from the EE I got in the same box the girl seemed to know what she was talking about looking for slate colored legs vs green on th EE. Things like that... I will try to post Picts soon

How are you getting splash from Meyers? I thought they only had blue. (And did have wheaten but I guess not anymore). I understand how blue black and splash are used together in breeding, but they only say they sell te one color. Unless maybe I missed it. And when I am talking about the whites people were getting, they posted about it after they were full grown. They weren't splash.

They were sold as "americauna". I have read that americauna and EE are similar.
How can you tell they are EE? I have seen in another thread someone who has identical chicks and she called the americauna.

Amer -i- cana is a play on Ameraucana. Twisted just enough by the hatcheries to fool people into thinking they are getting the real deal. EE and Americana are the same thing in their minds, because it sells chicks.
There is no such breed as an Americana. And Easter Eggers are not a breed either, they are a mix of a blue egger and something else. Sometimes anther blue egger.
The only Ameraucana that hatches out in chipmunk pattern are the Silvers. They are pretty rare! So, I hope that all makes sense

droolin.gif

That is one nice looking silver in your avatar!

Thank you MrsBachbach!
That is Sir SIlver and he was purchased from a top Ameraucana breeder who has since taken him back to make more really nice Silver Ameraucana! I have one of his sons who is still young and only one hen. BUT there will be more soon!
Fyre

How are you getting splash from Meyers? I thought they only had blue. (And did have wheaten but I guess not anymore). I understand how blue black and splash are used together in breeding, but they only say they sell te one color. Unless maybe I missed it. And when I am talking about the whites people were getting, they posted about it after they were full grown. They weren't splash.

The way I understand it is that they have a flock that the work with that has all three blue, black, and splash and under the description that they post they tell you it's hatchery choice. I am not an expert at all. But.
It would depend on how much resources they want to commit to this breed you can have 100% blue by breeding black and splash and but then you need to maintain two flocks that you need to breed somewhat close to type but also have those two lines when breed together still maintain type. Also because it's a hatchery they need to focus on production as well. It's a recipe for failure if you breed like hatcheries do. So it's safer for them to just have the one flock and work with that.
I have not heard of any white ones from them. I would like to know how that could happen. While I'm happy with these two from Meyer I don't know yet that I would recommend someone looking for real purebreds to them. I will wait to see how these mature first.

The way I understand it is that they have a flock that the work with that has all three blue, black, and splash and under the description that they post they tell you it's hatchery choice. I am not an expert at all. But.
It would depend on how much resources they want to commit to this breed you can have 100% blue by breeding black and splash and but then you need to maintain two flocks that you need to breed somewhat close to type but also have those two lines when breed together still maintain type. Also because it's a hatchery they need to focus on production as well. It's a recipe for failure if you breed like hatcheries do. So it's safer for them to just have the one flock and work with that.
I have not heard of any white ones from them. I would like to know how that could happen. While I'm happy with these two from Meyer I don't know yet that I would recommend someone looking for real purebreds to them. I will wait to see how these mature first.
I looked at there website. I just think they would get more business if they listed black and splash on there as well. Maybe not, but many people don't read the description. Oh well, why do I care I don't even order from hatcheries, plus I breed my own BBS Ams. I was just curious.

It might just be the light. You definitely got some splash and maybe blue ones. I don't know how to sex a splash from a photo. Look at their combs mine are about the same age and the roosters have a really pink comb.

I did look at their combs yesterday. Out of all of them the only one with a pink comb was the wheaten who I always suspected was a male. It is very bold. Always comes up to me, pecks at my toes, wants to look outside, etc. I would be very surprised if that is the only male. I guess I'm going to have to wait a while longer to know for sure.

The lighting makes them look a bit darker but they had hatch date of Apr 28th

What is the top one supposed to be? An EE or Ameraucana?

Hard to tell from that photo. Maybe a photo of their backs would help. That top one looks like a wheaten variety from that angle. Also the legs lookmore like a wheaten variety.

Back
Top Bottom