Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

One of the project varieties that I am working with, Lavender, (in my experience) more often lay a blue/green egg. This is something that is being continually worked on, as well as maintaining good body size and good feather quality. On the other hand, the project Mottleds I have lay a nice blue egg. It really depends on the variety and breeder line.

TaraBellaBirds It depends on the breeder and his or her priorities . The first lavenders laid greenish eggs . I have pretty much removed that from my lavenders by breeding back to blacks with good egg color .

Huh, I came on this thread to ask about my Ams egg color and the last few posts are on exactly that! I have 2 pure Ams. A blue and a black possibly split for lavender. I haven't been able to pin point who is laying what egg but both lay a green to bluish green egg. I take it it's common to have greenish egg color if the breeders focused more on breeding to feather SOP than egg color? I actually have an EE that lays a much bluer egg than the Ams. I'm kinda disappointed but I love them regardless. Now if I can just figure out who's responsible for picking my roosters beard out. Lol

Does she look like a EE or Ameraucana

Huh, I came on this thread to ask about my Ams egg color and the last few posts are on exactly that! I have 2 pure Ams. A blue and a black possibly split for lavender. I haven't been able to pin point who is laying what egg but both lay a green to bluish green egg. I take it it's common to have greenish egg color if the breeders focused more on breeding to feather SOP than egg color? I actually have an EE that lays a much bluer egg than the Ams. I'm kinda disappointed but I love them regardless. Now if I can just figure out who's responsible for picking my roosters beard out. Lol
It depends on the breeder and his or her priorities . The first lavenders laid greenish eggs . I have pretty much removed that from my lavenders by breeding back to blacks with good egg color.

In your case the greenish tint came from the lavender used to make your split . The blue is harder to explain . The Ameraucana is a fairly young breed in chickens . We do not have a long history . Selection is a must on egg color . I have one that lays a greenish egg that I do not set . I get good reports from customers on my egg color . I consider egg color a priority .

Does she look like a EE or Ameraucana

I paid $40 for 2 pet quality Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and $50 for one potential show quality Blue Ameraucana. How much did you pay for your chick? If under $10 then probably an EE. Go to www.Ameraucana.org to check out the photo gallery to see the 8 approved APA Ameraucana colors. Lavender is not approved yet but show breeders are working on it.

Sometimes hens can't resist plucking the feathers of a roo. My friend's hens were ganging up on her two cockerels and she had to separate them from the hens.

It depends on the breeder and his or her priorities . The first lavenders laid greenish eggs . I have pretty much removed that from my lavenders by breeding back to blacks with good egg color.

In your case the greenish tint came from the lavender used to make your split . The blue is harder to explain . The Ameraucana is a fairly young breed in chickens . We do not have a long history . Selection is a must on egg color . I have one that lays a greenish egg that I do not set . I get good reports from customers on my egg color . I consider egg color a priority .
Well I assumed she was a blue but she is much paler than the blue Roo I have. She could be a lavender I suppose. I'll have to get a good picture of her soon and post.
On another note I know your Ams have great egg color. :D The bantam Am hen I hatched and kept from your eggs last year lays the prettiest pale blue egg. I have a half bantam cornish daughter of hers too but she lays a pretty minty green egg. Love them both.

I paid $40 for 2 pet quality Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and $50 for one potential show quality Blue Ameraucana. How much did you pay for your chick? If under $10 then probably an EE. Go to www.Ameraucana.org to check out the photo gallery to see the 8 approved APA Ameraucana colors. Lavender is not approved yet but show breeders are working on it.

really? so the 8 blues I bought back in Feb for $8 a piece from a breeder in Calhoun GA were just a bargain then? or do you think he just took me? I know you have a rep for really knowing your stuff, but just because someone buys a chick for under $10 doesn't mean it's 'probably an EE', good grief

Back
Top Bottom