Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I can attest that they do have beautiful purebred Ameraucanas. Small breeder in Georgia, he has Silvers, Buffs, BBS and I think Red BrownS, all Ameraucanas and I don't think he keeps any other breeds.

Thank you so much. I just wanted to verify since I'm new to the breed. I purchased some easter eggers off of ebay thinking they were ameraucanas. I just wanted to make sure these were legitimate before putting out so much money. Thanks. :)

I can attest that they do have beautiful purebred Ameraucanas. Small breeder in Georgia, he has Silvers, Buffs, BBS and I think Red BrownS, all Ameraucanas and I don't think he keeps any other breeds.

Well I was song to purchase the silver but I liked the black better. Just bought 6+ black ameraucana hatching eggs. Hopefully I get a good hatch rate. :)

Strange questions I am new to chickens and I have 2 Americauna hens both have orange necks and black laced with orange on the rest of their body. What is their color designation? Does tufted stand for their cool mutton chops? And will they ever start being more social? They are almost 3 months old and been with the flock since the whole flock were hatchling. But they Only run with each other.

Strange questions I am new to chickens and I have 2 Americauna hens both have orange necks and black laced with orange on the rest of their body. What is their color designation? Does tufted stand for their cool mutton chops? And will they ever start being more social? They are almost 3 months old and been with the flock since the whole flock were hatchling. But they Only run with each other.

It sounds like you have Easter eggers, not Ameraucanas, but to be sure, you can look at the recognized colors on either the Ameraucana Alliance website or Ameraucana Breeders Club website. They have a photo gallery with pics as well as a list of the standards.

A lot of hatcheries and feed stores call their easter egger chicks amer-i-cana or "Ameraucana Easter Egger" or even Auracana to trick buyers. Easter eggers are awesome (I love them) but they aren't Amer-au-canas. :)

The chickens below are 2 of my EE's (click on the picture if you need a bigger view of it). As you can see, they come in a wide variety of colors. Ameraucana chickens can only be particular colors. Oh, as for being more social.... if they are the only two that color it could be an issue of the other birds not fully accepting them for being different. Also, chickens can be a little click-ish, like people and it's possible that those two simply enjoy each other's company.

Easter eggers get muffs and beard from the Ameraucana (some say it is the other way around because of how the breed Ameraucana was developed but that's another story). EE's come in every color that a chicken possibly can be. But since this is an Ameraucana only thread, I'll leave it at that.

A lot of hatcheries and feed stores call their easter egger chicks amer-i-cana or "Ameraucana Easter Egger" or even Auracana to trick buyers. Easter eggers are awesome (I love them) but they aren't Amer-au-canas. :)

The chickens below are 2 of my EE's (click on the picture if you need a bigger view of it). As you can see, they come in a wide variety of colors. Ameraucana chickens can only be particular colors. Oh, as for being more social.... if they are the only two that color it could be an issue of the other birds not fully accepting them for being different. Also, chickens can be a little click-ish, like people and it's possible that those two simply enjoy each other's company.

Easter eggers get muffs and beard from the Ameraucana (some say it is the other way around because of how the breed Ameraucana was developed but that's another story). EE's come in every color that a chicken possibly can be. But since this is an Ameraucana only thread, I'll leave it at that.

Great question and great answer. You reference "tufted" in your original post, which is an Araucana trait rather than Ameraucana. This is tufted:

It's much more likely that you do have Easter Eggers, which can have some genetics from either or both of these birds as well as other breeds. So they do tend to be unique. I have raised feather footed bearded Easter Eggers, Columbian pattern Easter Eggers, some that look almost like Ameraucana, and some that are pure Araucana or Ameraucana that don't meet breed standards.

Last edited:
It's coming! The new ABC Marketplace with t-shirts, hoodies, coffee mugs, grooming aprons...and so much more...should be open next week!
Here's a preview of what a couple of our many logo/images will look like. Wouldn't you love to have a t-shirt with one of these on it?

Can anyone tell me if the rusty red patches on the shoulder of a growing chick mean it's a rooster FOR SURE, or could it still be a pullet? I bought six true Ameraucana chicks that were all supposed to be pullets, but I swear at least two, and maybe three, are cockerels. Can I post pictures for you all to have a look at?
I didn't know much about the breed when I got them and the pea combs are really throwing me off when it comes to sexing them.

Back
Top Bottom