Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

This is the rusty red coloring I was asking about. Does it always mean cockerel? They are supposed to be True Ameraucanas, NOT Easter Eggers.
I have an easter egger hen that has the same rust color on her shoulders. I thought for sure rooster but she layed her first egg yesterday. :)
Is this color considered blue wheaten? Also, look at that comb. He's bigger than the other chicks too.
I have a hen with the same color comb. I think that's why they are so hard to sex.
Easter Eggers. And yes, that particular shade of red on the shoulders is male specific.
I know we spoke about this already but I do have a hen just like hers with the ruse patches that just started laying eggs... idk??

I have three blue/red Easter Eggers right now. They are about the same age as yours and are gorgeous.

As long as the hens lay me some blue eggs they're all right with me lol. Glad I found out their dirty little secret before I spent much more money feeding all these cockerels though.

ETA: No one has started crowing yet so I'll play the waiting game. No one is big enough to cull yet anyway.

Last edited:
I have an easter egger hen that has the same rust color on her shoulders. I thought for sure rooster but she layed her first egg yesterday.
smile.png

I have a hen with the same color comb. I think that's why they are so hard to sex.
I know we spoke about this already but I do have a hen just like hers with the ruse patches that just started laying eggs... idk??

Thanks for the info Jen. Maybe there's hope she's a she?

Man, I would have felt like a real fool if I had tried to sell 'purebred' Ameraucana chicks next spring. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for the info Jen.  Maybe there's hope she's a she?

Man, I would have felt like a real fool if I had tried to sell 'purebred' Ameraucana chicks next spring.  Oh well, live and learn.

Don't feel bad. I purchased a bunch of ameraucana eggs from ebay. They all turned out to be easter eggers. The ad even sais purebred Ameraucanas. If I had known more before I purchased them I definitely would have known better from the pics. It is a learning experience that's for sure. :)

Man, I would have felt like a real fool if I had tried to sell 'purebred' Ameraucana chicks next spring.  Oh well, live and learn.

If you choose to get Ameraucanas in the future, please go to either the Ameraucana Alliance website or Ameraucana Breeders Club website. There are pics of what they SHOULD look like as well as a breeders list to find someone reputable.

If you choose to get Ameraucanas in the future, please go to either the Ameraucana Alliance website or Ameraucana Breeders Club website. There are pics of what they SHOULD look like as well as a breeders list to find someone reputable.

Definitely follow this advice if you want birds bred to standards.

Back
Top Bottom