Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I've seen several discussions on sexing young Ameraucanas by their comb ("females only have one row of peas and males have three"), so I thought I'd share these pictures. A pea comb, by definition, is three rows of peas, so even if the females are less obvious, they should also have three rows of peas.

This is a young (about 11-12 weeks) wheaten pullet. Of course, sexing wheatens is easy once they get full feathers because of the differences in males and females. But I'd like to show you her comb. Look closely and you can see three rows of peas, which is what a pea comb should be, regardless of gender.

wheaten pullet comb 1.jpg wheaten pullet comb 2.jpg wheaten pullet comb 3.jpg

I've seen several discussions on sexing young Ameraucanas by their comb ("females only have one row of peas and males have three"), so I thought I'd share these pictures. A pea comb, by definition, is three rows of peas, so even if the females are less obvious, they should also have three rows of peas.

This is a young (about 11-12 weeks) wheaten pullet. Of course, sexing wheatens is easy once they get full feathers because of the differences in males and females. But I'd like to show you her comb. Look closely and you can see three rows of peas, which is what a pea comb should be, regardless of gender.

View attachment 1046218 View attachment 1046219 View attachment 1046220

Can you post a male at the same sage (if you have one) for a side by side comparison? I am still trying to understand what you mean by rows of peas.

Day 23 for my Wheaten eggs... One egg piped this morning and nothing from the other one. I really hope both these eggs hatch, the hen they came from was killed by a roaming dog days after the eggs were set. My OE chicks were all out on day 21 and they are running around the brooder now. Has anyone else had Ams hatch later than average? The suspense is killing me!

I have been gone . Did not see a reply to your question . In my experience a late hatch is due to low temperature . Bump up the the temp 1/2 a degree to start with . Could possibly need 1 degree . Thermometers can be off a little bit .

Back
Top Bottom