Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hello, Ameraucana enthusiasts! I got a couple of Ameraucana pullets who are 8-10 weeks old. I'm not allowed to have roosters where I live, so I'm a little paranoid that my super-bold, brave, largest girl will wind up being male.

At how many weeks old do you find Ameraucanas tend to start crowing or growing undeniable saddle feathers?

View attachment 1717481
The black one in this image is the one I'm concerned about.

Saddle feathers wont' start growing in until around 12 weeks. Usually by 8 weeks you can tell if its a cockerel or a pullet. That being said, I'm going with pullet for the black. I can't see the splash's face enough to judge.

Im brand new to all things chicken but love the look of this breed. Here are 2 of my
20190328_113217.jpg
20190328_113057.jpg
4 ameraucana girls. 18 days old

Hello, Ameraucana enthusiasts! I got a couple of Ameraucana pullets who are 8-10 weeks old. I'm not allowed to have roosters where I live, so I'm a little paranoid that my super-bold, brave, largest girl will wind up being male.

At how many weeks old do you find Ameraucanas tend to start crowing or growing undeniable saddle feathers?

View attachment 1717481
The black one in this image is the one I'm concerned about.
It is not unheard of to wait 16 weeks before being able to determine sex on an Ameraucana… I have 3 hens now that are about 6 month old. One is much larger than the others and one is pretty small and lays smaller eggs as well. Wish I could be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom