Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Next week, I'm scheduled to pick up the white roo that won best white cockeral last year in IA, plus 3 hens with him.
celebrate.gif

In addition to them; some hatching eggs from both whites and blue/blacks for Mahonri's BYC Easter Hatch.
woot.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=447147&p=1

Quote:
Wow that's awesome for shipped eggs! Harry does pack ridiculously well though, I have to say. Mazeltov!
big_smile.png

your babies are so cute may have to get one of those the incubators Sueg

Quote:
Yes, it will leak both red and black, and sometimes look like a splash bird to an extent; though unless it is black diluted by bl or lav it will be black spots and should not be too difficult to tell from a genuine splash.

Thanks Steve,

My hen is Dominant White she is white with a black spot on her back. When hatched Dominant white is yellow white, where as Recessive white is a Smokey White color.

I actually just hatched chicks from my Lav/Black Split and Lav pen which has one Dominant White hen in there and I have 3 Lavender, 3 Black/Splits, and 1 Dominant White chick that hatched. The Dom White chick is Yellow white and her feathers coming in are Bright white.
big_smile.png
I will get pics soon of both the hen and the chick.

I don't know very many people with Dom White Ameraucanas, I only have 1.

Quote:
Your chicks are absolutely beautiful. I just got some hatching eggs from Shaffer and I am super excited to add them to my Breeding Stock. What a great hatch rate. I have to say that Joshua and Harry Package their eggs very well:D

Quote:
Yes, it will leak both red and black, and sometimes look like a splash bird to an extent; though unless it is black diluted by bl or lav it will be black spots and should not be too difficult to tell from a genuine splash.

Thanks Steve,

My hen is Dominant White she is white with a black spot on her back. When hatched Dominant white is yellow white, where as Recessive white is a Smokey White color.

I actually just hatched chicks from my Lav/Black Split and Lav pen which has one Dominant White hen in there and I have 3 Lavender, 3 Black/Splits, and 1 Dominant White chick that hatched. The Dom White chick is Yellow white and her feathers coming in are Bright white.
big_smile.png

ummmm I am pretty sure all ameraucanas are recessive white, even the whites. One sure way to tell if is recessive or dominate is to breed to a black. Recessives will hatch black chicks(split whites) and dominates will produce white chicks when breed to blacks.
Quote From ABC
Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
Is it possible for a Dominant White Ameraucana to show black feathering like Splash?

>>This is what I was quoted from a Breeder(that I purchased her from) who has bred since 1980 or so( I would rather not bring them into the discussion unless they wish to join)

"There are two types of white.Recessive white when crossed with a color gives you a bird showing only color but carrying white.Dominate white when crossed with a color gives you a white bird showing some of that color.In this case black since lavender is black with 2 copies of the gene that turns it lavender.Since they are split carrying one copy of the lavender gene the color you see will be black.Dominate white is easier to remove from a bloodline since all carriers will show white."

Hope this helps

Wow I was an A student in all my high school science classes this stuff herts my head
he.gif
So here come a string of not so bright questions.
What does split mean?
What does it mean if the bird has a recessive colors and what does that mean for the next generation?

I have two roo one I believe to be silver and one black Ameraucana how can I tell if they are true Ameraucanas or just ee muts?
I would read like to work on the Silver Ameraucana. I am looking to understand chicken genetics as a hole and can't seem to find a good source of info.
Dawn

Quote:
Thanks Steve,

big_smile.png

ummmm I am pretty sure all ameraucanas are recessive white, even the whites. One sure way to tell if is recessive or dominate is to breed to a black. Recessives will hatch black chicks(split whites) and dominates will produce white chicks when breed to blacks.
Quote From ABC
Quote:

I don't know who, for sure, added the dominate white to their Ameraucanas; but I found it in a bird coming from a cross of two major breeder's lines....................... along with genes for barring and slow feather in another.

Quote:
Quote From ABC
Quote:

I don't know who, for sure, added the dominate white to their Ameraucanas; but I found it in a bird coming from a cross of two major breeder's lines....................... along with genes for barring and slow feather in another.

This is where you lose me. If Mike Gilbert says Dom White covers all black, where would it be possible for a Dominant white to show black?

Quote:
Quote From ABC

This is where you lose me. If Mike Gilbert says Dom White covers all black, where would it be possible for a Dominant white to show black?

Dominate white is dominate, but leaky. So, crossed to black, you get a bird with one copy of dominate white and appear visually white but with some black leaking. Red shows to a much greater extent.

Back
Top Bottom