Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

This spring I started a flock of Ameraucanas by buying hatching eggs from a few different breeders, some local. I put my extra boys in freezer camp today, and the final dressed weight was just under 3 lbs on all of them. I knew I was culling some of them because they lacked substance, but I was disappointed by the size of the smaller ones. These were 20 week old black and black/lav split roos. The bodies were all very slender, my husband said they looked more like rabbits than chickens after I skinned them. I know they will never match a cornish x, but what do those of you who dress out extra roos expect them to weigh at 20 weeks? Do they always look so narrow? I do free range my flock, but I keep feed out free choice also. My current game plan is to focus on breeding for more size and substance for next year (obviously). Thanks everyone.

Quote:
I just had this conversation today! I am not looking forward to our first attempt at processing. Had I known we were getting to that point I would have held onto some of the extra delawares. I just cannot see the Ams being worth the effort. It will be more of a learning experience, I guess, for when we have the time and space to grow out more heritage meaties.

Well, my Cotton was slow in maturing but he has turned out to be a handsome Wheaten boy. The Ameraucanas are kinda of a medium bird compared to other standard breeds.
Ofcourse, my blue Wyandottes I got from the hatchery dress out around 4 lb mark as they are on the small side for standard wyandottes. Most dual breeds are going to have a narrower chest area than cornishes or cornish hybrids. Despite being on the small side the Wyandottes are delicious.

I still remember the first one I processed he was all legs!! I mean he had turkey sized legs on him! It was very comical looking as the breast area was small but boy were those drumsticks huge n juicy. He was an easy first cus he was getting people aggressive.

Quote:
Flower:

I know. Thanks for the encouraging words. We do have plenty of auctions, but I don't have the time to take them. Paying so much for tiny chicks and having to give them away is not currently in my mind set. I may try Craigslist or they will go to freezer camp.

I want to keep my best boys and we'll get up the courage to process some of them eventually. I have two old EE hens in the freezer now. . .skinned them. . .kinda processed them like a deer. Need to learn how to properly process poultry. We've watched the u-tube clips and have a book, but we learn better with hands-on. One family member used to work at a poultry processing plant. . .he doesn't eat chicken to this day. . .plan on having him show us how to correctly process a great skin on bird. I've got a thing about taking a life and wasting. . .

It's difficult being a newbie and not knowing which are the best. Some of the blue wheatens are so big. The silvers are small, so there won't be much to them. One silver hopped over the fence yesterday and the neighbor was kind enough to chase it back home and open a gate so that he could get back with the group. I told her "thank you, but if it happens again, feel free to eat it". The only roos that I asked her to ever put back were the two wheatens and the blue. Eventually when I'm down to the final choices, I probably break down and try and take some photos to get expert opinions on the best boy(s).

Midwest Lizabeth

Autumn is in full swing on the mountain, and not just leaves are falling! The birds all look like crap, but I have to get pics before everything is brown. Blah.

28521_25octtablepreviewducks_009.jpg

OK I am laughing so hard, this is the first time I've seen the phrase **Freezer Camp** ! ha ha! I have 2 ginormously plump 5 month old Americauna ladies (eggs any day now??) and often wondered how big they really are. We have 4 other red & buff crosses that look petite in comparison. Hope you are pleasantly surprised how much meat ya get...

I have a question for all the more experienced Ameraucana breeders. I would like to get a mental picture of size and body type desired of an Ameraucana according to the SOP. How would the size and shape compare to Rocks or Sussex for example? I suspect that my birds are a bit small, but I am not sure, since they are still young, none of my Am pullets have started laying yet. Thanks for any replys!
Lisa

Quote:
Smaller than Rocks or Sussex, but larger than Buttercups or Andalusians. As far as shape goes, here's an example of what I consider a nice butt
lol.png

28521_25octtablepreviewducks_032.jpg

They are better when they aren't molting, but I was out with the camera today so....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom