Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi Candace - I have a few Ameraucana hens, which I hatched from eggs and also have Easter Eggers, which I love.

My blue bantam Easter Egger (see below) is an accepted Ameraucana color, has slate legs, a pea comb, beard and muffs, lays blue (not green) eggs, but she is still considered an Easter Egger because I purchased her from a hatchery. Since she was not specifically bred to be 'blue', no telling what color her offspring will be. If a suspected Ameraucana does not breed true to color, that also disqualifies the suspected chicken to not be a true ameraucana.

Hi Candace - I have a few Ameraucana hens, which I hatched from eggs and also have Easter Eggers, which I love.
My blue bantam Easter Egger (see below) is an accepted Ameraucana color, has slate legs, a pea comb, beard and muffs, lays blue (not green) eggs, but she is still considered an Easter Egger because I purchased her from a hatchery. Since she was not specifically bred to be 'blue', no telling what color her offspring will be. If a suspected Ameraucana does not breed true to color, that also disqualifies the suspected chicken to not be a true ameraucana.

What ever you Label her.....She is really beautiful!!

Last edited:
Thank you - she is a real sweetheart too.

Let me add that ArizonaDesertChicks wants to impress upon those who question the SOP for Ameraucanas is not just the external characteristics but that breeding between two of the same breed must result in the same characteristics in all chicks as the parents or the standard is not met. Well that sounds a little awkward. Maybe some one can word it better. It is just that this point is not always stressed as much as the other values.

What ever you Label her.....She is really beautiful!!

I agree, she is just lovely. If she were mine I would be test breeding her!!!
love.gif

Let me add that ArizonaDesertChicks wants to impress upon those who question the SOP for Ameraucanas is not just the external characteristics but that breeding between two of the same breed must result in the same characteristics in all chicks as the parents or the standard is not met.  Well that sounds a little awkward. Maybe some one can word it better. It is just that this point is not always stressed as much as the other values.

Exactly - I have 2 Splash EEs also and even a silver (although the silver is lacking muffs and a beard), but besides meeting the SOP, an Ameraucana must also 'breed true' to be a true Ameraucana.

Just2Rosy -- I probably would try testing her out, especially since she lays such pretty blue eggs, but unfortunately, I cannot have roos in my area :(

Back
Top Bottom